step 1 scores and ob

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAMAN

Air Jordan Collector
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
judging from the current state of ob i'd imagine that step 1 scores aren't looked at very heavily. but since there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive faq on the ob board i thought i'd toss a few questions out.

are there any programs out there that have step 1 cutoffs? what kinds of programs entertain sub 200 applicants?

how does being male factor into the equation for residency programs? for future opportunities in joining/building a practice?

what are the opportunities for subspecialization in ob/gyne?

what would people say are the best reason's to go into ob/gyne?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLAMAN:
from what i've read/heard you can probraly match in obgyn with sub 200 scores-- but you wont necessarily beable to choose where you go. (in other words you can apply to several schools and I think you should have a good chance of getting in ) it seems to me, for obgyn -- it is really important to be liked by the residents at the school you are applying. For this reason, consider doing one or two away rotations. Also, if you have not-so stellar step 1 scores, take step2 early --and raise your score. also, get involved in other extra-c activities &/or a case study or presentation on obgyn related topic to strenghten your application.

step 1 is important-- but there are other ways to improve your application and get what you want.

If you just want reassurance that obgyn is not competitive, I am not really sure what the step cut-offs are. I know some schools I have looked into say that requirement for admission is obgyn nbme score > 70 (but even this maybe be waived ) I'm guessing.

reasons to go into obgyn: well one bad reason to go into obgyn is just b/c the current state makes it less competitive. if you dont absolutley love it you wont be happy -- no matter where you get in.

good luck!
snowinter

judging from the current state of ob i'd imagine that step 1 scores aren't looked at very heavily. but since there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive faq on the ob board i thought i'd toss a few questions out.

are there any programs out there that have step 1 cutoffs? what kinds of programs entertain sub 200 applicants?

how does being male factor into the equation for residency programs? for future opportunities in joining/building a practice?

snowinter said:
reasons to go into obgyn: well one bad reason to go into obgyn is just b/c the current state makes it less competitive. if you dont absolutley love it you wont be happy -- no matter where you get in.

i realize that...thats why i want to know what people consider the pros and cons of ob/gyn...i saw a similar sort of thread with gas that went into a list of pros and cons of the field.

but ya no worries...i wouldnt try matching into ob/gyn if i don't happen to enjoy my clerkship later this year.

but just as a heads up...it be nice to know what some people like/dislike about the field. and when i actually go through my clerkship i'll decide if i agree or disagree. having some things to keep in mind before i begin that rotation would be nice though.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of programs will specify if you ask what the minimum Step 1 score is. For some, 200 seems to be the number. Others require passing. I do know of one student with below a 200 score that did not get interviews at certain programs. That person took Step 2 early, did well, and went on to match to a good University-based program.

braxtonhicks said:
A lot of programs will specify if you ask what the minimum Step 1 score is. For some, 200 seems to be the number. Others require passing. I do know of one student with below a 200 score that did not get interviews at certain programs. That person took Step 2 early, did well, and went on to match to a good University-based program.

Applications to OBGyn are increasing so don't count on it being a shoe in particularly if you are hoping for a spot at one of the better programs.

UCLAMAN said:

Being a guy helps, as there are relatively few going into OB/GYN. Residencies and group practices will want you. Subspecialties include Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Uro-Gyne, Oncology. One of the things ob/gyn has going for it is the fact that it is a nice mix of medicine and surgery.

Wrigleyville said:
Being a guy helps, as there are relatively few going into OB/GYN. Residencies and group practices will want you. Subspecialties include Maternal-Fetal Medicine, Uro-Gyne, Oncology. One of the things ob/gyn has going for it is the fact that it is a nice mix of medicine and surgery.

ya...i liked the idea of the surgery and medicine combo....i was contemplating switching my blocks (because as of right now i have ob as my last block and end with peds at cmh) to see how i like the idea of being a "cooter doctor" earlier during our 3rd year. :D but nah...no rush...i figure i'll get there when i get there.

A tip for when your OB/Gyn rotation rolls around.....avoid using the phrase "cooter doctor." It might be frowned on...... :)

For places that use a cut-off do you know which side of the line a score of 200 exactly (my score) falls? Is it that 200+ is not automatically excluded, or 0-200 is excluded?

I realize that I'm just talking cut-offs & I'm trying to do what I can to make the rest of my application make-up for my step I.

Thanks.

KC

hey :) check out this website: http://www.apgo.org/getinfo/index.c...ncy directory

e-mail your obgyn department and get the password/login
basically it has all schools listed by location or name with info on the school.

some schools have even lower step 1 cut-offs. (I saw several 196 on the website mentioned above) and I think the ones that say 200 mean INCLUDING 200.

but that website above gives you cut-off info and gpa
I think you'll be fine!

good luck!
snow

kittycat_642 said:
For places that use a cut-off do you know which side of the line a score of 200 exactly (my score) falls? Is it that 200+ is not automatically excluded, or 0-200 is excluded?

I realize that I'm just talking cut-offs & I'm trying to do what I can to make the rest of my application make-up for my step I.

Thanks.

KC

Kids: relax.

Don't worry bout cut-offs...always do your best and always apply to any place that you might want to go. Thats it...period.

We (as med students, doctors, ob/gyns) need to cut out this Type A bull$h!^.

Well, since I like to feed the machine (rather than rage against it) I'll tell you this bit of info that the chairman of my Ob/gyn dept told me straight up. So that is the best source one can get. He used to be at Brigham and said that the application doesnt even make it off the secretary's desk if you're not AOA or from an ivy league school. Ivy league extended to cover Hopkins, Stanford etc. This is from a few years ago so since this is such a buyers market, things may have changed. Maybe you can infer that this occurs at some of the other top programs around the country. I am neither of the above criteria but i'm still gonna apply cuz maybe i'll get an interview. If I dont, well I've been rejected multiple times (for undergrad, for med school, and for various marriage proposals) so it don't bother me none.

Anyways, good luck and never give up.

step 1 cut-off's tend to be pretty soft...i have spoken with several depts across the country. even with sub-200 step 1 (but a 234/95 step 2), there is plenty of interest. not one program has led me to believe that i wouldn't be strongly considered, even with the poor score.they seem to fit in 2 groups...either they simply dont have a cutoff, or they may have one, but a good step 2 will compensate for a crappy step 1. granted, i am not applying to any of the tip-top programs, but i have spoken with some strong university programs. the field is pretty wide open, being a guy helps, etc...

In terms of competetiveness, what are the tip-top programs? Brigham, northwestern, what else?

Members don't see this ad :)
in CA, UCSD and UCSF are toughies, as well as stanford. i think UCLA proper is pretty tight too. just like any native californian, i am blissfully unaware of what is going on in the rest of the US.

i am not really aware of who is considered "tip-top" academically, i am just aware of spots where i couldn't get an interview if my dad was the PD. so, i guess my tip-top programs are still a lot lower than some!

snowinter said:
hey :) check out this website: http://www.apgo.org/getinfo/index.c...ncy directory

e-mail your obgyn department and get the password/login
basically it has all schools listed by location or name with info on the school.

some schools have even lower step 1 cut-offs. (I saw several 196 on the website mentioned above) and I think the ones that say 200 mean INCLUDING 200.

but that website above gives you cut-off info and gpa
I think you'll be fine!

good luck!
snow

Could anyone just post their user name and password for the rest of us? Or would someone just send me a private message with that info?
Share the love!

snowinter said:
UCLAMAN:
from what i've read/heard you can probraly match in obgyn with sub 200 scores-- but you wont necessarily beable to choose where you go. (in other words you can apply to several schools and I think you should have a good chance of getting in ) it seems to me, for obgyn -- it is really important to be liked by the residents at the school you are applying. For this reason, consider doing one or two away rotations. Also, if you have not-so stellar step 1 scores, take step2 early --and raise your score. also, get involved in other extra-c activities &/or a case study or presentation on obgyn related topic to strenghten your application.

Step 1 scores ARE NOT the deciding factor in ob-gyn residencies. I had <200 step 1, >235 step 2, and was scared so applied to 42 programs and got 37 interviews. And I'm female.

So don't worry.

kem said:
snowinter said:
UCLAMAN:

Step 1 scores ARE NOT the deciding factor in ob-gyn residencies. I had <200 step 1, >235 step 2, and was scared so applied to 42 programs and got 37 interviews. And I'm female.
yeah, but what 37 programs? top programs will always be competitive, and step 1>grades>LOR>personal statement.

DrBuzzLightYear said:
yeah, but what 37 programs? top programs will always be competitive, and step 1>grades>LOR>personal statement.

well, i totally disagree with this....i would agree that step 1 is at, or near the top. but, strong LOR's are also really up there, and can offset a weaker step 1. as can a strong step 2.

it seems to be a very common misconception that applying for a residency is simply a matter of having the right numbers on your application. sure, these things are important...but, there is an entire application for the programs to review. and, they are RARELY going to go by some formula for picking applicants.

there are a few programs out there, i am sure, where if you don't absolutely blow step 1, step 2 and your grades out of the water and have AOA and have killer LOR's, etc...you won't get an interview. but, these are the exceptions rather than the rule.

the point is, one weak spot on an application will not keep you out of contention for most programs out there...

and, buzz, i know where kem is. it is a great uni hospital. so, she not only got an interview, but matched to a killer program. it is not all about step 1, as you will see.

i don't think that step 1 score is important for ob/gyn at all. consider that there are far less u.s. seniors applying for ob/gyn than there are spaces available... programs wnat/need every applicant that they can get. ob/gyn continues to have huge numbers of unfilled residency slots every match. programs are not going to turn away an interested applicant because he/she has a poor step 1 score.

even upper tier ob/gyn programs have trouble filling. a 200 on step one is one standard deviation below the mean... do you really think that the average ob/gyn program is going to eliminate an applicant because he/she scored a 199 and not a 200?

best of luck.

kittycat_642 said:
In terms of competetiveness, what are the tip-top programs? Brigham, northwestern, what else?

Definitely put Hopkins at the top of any list. . . amazing place. Just ending my first block as a new intern and loving it. Nice, happy residents with lots of energy and a ton of interest in clinical medicine and research. The program director is wonderful, the chairman is amazingly approachable, and the residents are wonderful colleagues. I'm enjoying every minute of my residency. Anyone interested in a top academic experience should definitely apply to Johns Hopkins. No board score cutoffs, but the screeners look for someone with promise for success, the ability to work hard / learn constantly / and love their profession, and something "special" that comes through in their application. In the end, we still end up with a class average for board scores that's quite high. The mix of patients and problems is pretty interesting/entertaining here too. The pathology is amazing. The most important thing, though, is probably the collegiality. Teamwork all the way -- from attending to intern to NP to staff. I am completely happy to be here and look forward to finding some more super enthusiastic recruits for next year. My intern class is awesome. Work hard, play hard, and always as positive as can be!

DrBuzzLightYear said:
kem said:

Hey, no need to try and put someone down you don't even know. But since you asked...they include the following... I applied mostly in the South, Texas and the Southwest and Cali and I ended up getting my first choice in the match. But I do have a lot of extracurriculars in ob-gyn (Planned Parenthood work, a pedi and adolescent internship) so it gave me something to talk about in my personal statement and interviews. My point is that if you really love ob-gyn and are excited about it it will come through in your application and that means more than a number on a test one day to many (not ALL, but many) good programs.

Emory
UC Davis
USC
UC Irvine
Cedars-Sinai
OHSU (Portland)
Baylor (Houston)
UT San Antonio
UTSW (Parkland)
U of New Mexico
U of Arizona
U of Hawaii
UConn
UTMB Galveston

kjh64831 said:
Definitely put Hopkins at the top of any list. . . amazing place. Just ending my first block as a new intern and loving it. My intern class is awesome. Work hard, play hard, and always as positive as can be!

Hey, just wondering about Hopkins - how many residents are in each class? I looked at their website and saw some years had 8 residents listed while others had 9 and 7 ?!? What is that all about?

Glad to hear you like it so much - it is sooo great to hear from residents - especially interns - who are so excited & enthusiastic about their chosen fields. You are really lucky!

hello there...
i have just arrived at this forum!
i think this thread is very interesting and i was wondering if anyone had advice for the opposite situation from the original poster.... ok so i don't have amazing step 1 scores but they make me plenty happy (219/89) but my grades are not very great. i just pass in everything and i even failed a course in 1st year (biochem stuff) though i remediated it quite successfully. i don't even know if that goes on my record or not! anyway - the main reason for the 'just pass' grades is because i'm a very extracurricular type of person and i do a lot of work on an international public health project in my spare time and other things along those lines. i expect to do well on the wards (just started 3rd year) because people tend to like me in the subjective. does anyone care about this grades garbage? do programs really look at extracurricular stuff and things like awards and honors or are those things just bonuses?

if you bothered to read all that, thanks and comments are appreciated. i am a very very interested in OB/GYN person, i like to think of myself as being 'vagina friendly'. nice to meet you all.

First some one forgot to mention Indiana-Purdue as an awesome residency program 10 residents a year and benefits of an academic county and private hospitals plus well funded in research.

Second as someone who review applications I don't take too seriously the SCORE that is being shallow. I want an applicant who has a genuine interest in OB. Did they do a 4th yr rotation in OB? Did they do research? Why OB-this should be clearly spelled out in the PS. I also take into considerations the letters and if they have worked with someone in OB that is well published

Just my 2 cents

Check out the Hopkins Gyn/Ob website for info:
http://womenshealth.jhmi.edu/residency_mfm_programs/residents_visitors/greetings.html

The 9/8 per year thing is just because one class had one extra person. . . The program is really 8/year. Good luck, and be SURE to apply to Hopkins! (Baltimore's fun and interesting and quirky too!! -- Love it here, as you can tell.)

elvede said:
Hey, just wondering about Hopkins - how many residents are in each class? I looked at their website and saw some years had 8 residents listed while others had 9 and 7 ?!? What is that all about?

Glad to hear you like it so much - it is sooo great to hear from residents - especially interns - who are so excited & enthusiastic about their chosen fields. You are really lucky!