USMLE Step 1 self assessments? Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Ryan Seacrest Type

Reaction score
Hey y’all, I’m a US MD studying for step 1 at the moment. I have my exam at the end of June (if Corona doesn’t continue into the summer). I have not done much in terms of focused pre dedicated studying except for class lectures (I haven’t done question banks uworld, USMLErx or any real anki or anything like that)

The things I have going for me right now is that I’ve completed clerkships and have experience with NBME exams, I finished sketchy micro (gone over it twice), working on Pharm, watched about half of boards and beyond videos with annotated notes and read about a third of first aid.

So my goal is to finish first aid and sketchy pharm in about two weeks and come April do about 80 uworld questions a day (one day off) in order to complete uworld in 6 weeks, supplementing with sketchy, pathoma, reviewing first aid and B&B as needed for weak subjects, while making Anki cards for uworld and doing the pepper and duke decks. I want get everything done before I start dedicated in mid May.

My question is multi fold, what nbme exam should I take as a good diagnostic before (or 1 week into) doing uworld? How many exams should I take over this ~3mo time? How should I stagger them? What exams should I wait to take closer to test date?

Also do y’all think this is enough to have a reasonable chance for over a 240? Keeping in mind I have very light electives until I start dedicated mid May (exam scheduled for end of June)? Any answers to any questions are much appreciated, thank you!

One last thing, should I do uworld twice or just do incorrects and do something like Rx or amboss, my memory is garbage lol. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on how many you want to do, I would go with the newer NBMES for a baseline - 22, 23, or 24. 18 also seems to have good predictive value. I'm planning on doing UWSA1/2, NBME 24, and 1-3 additional NBMEs depending on what I need and if it ends up being worth the time. I'd take UWSA ~ 1 month out, UWSA 2 ~ 1 week out, and the free 120 at prometric a few days before. In terms of picking NBMEs, go look at the reddit score predictor if you want more data on which ones are predictive

If you master sketchy, pathoma, and Uworld then you will be in good position for 240+

Reactions: 1 user
Depending on how many you want to do, I would go with the newer NBMES for a baseline - 22, 23, or 24. 18 also seems to have good predictive value. I'm planning on doing UWSA1/2, NBME 24, and 1-3 additional NBMEs depending on what I need and if it ends up being worth the time. I'd take UWSA ~ 1 month out, UWSA 2 ~ 1 week out, and the free 120 at prometric a few days before. In terms of picking NBMEs, go look at the reddit score predictor if you want more data on which ones are predictive

If you master sketchy, pathoma, and Uworld then you will be in good position for 240+
Thank you my friend, I guess I want to do like 8 exams total including the free120. I will stick with newer NBMEs, but also I see that 16 also has a high predictive value, would you recommend it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you my friend, I guess I want to do like 8 exams total including the free120. I will stick with newer NBMEs, but also I see that 16 also has a high predictive value, would you recommend it?
I wouldnt do so many NBMEs. you cant learn from them really. Id do more practice questions and only do like 2 NBMEs max plus the USWA1 and 2. You dont get too much out of doing a ton of NBMEs imo just lets you know where you are. Could be spending that time practicing more questions and learning

Reactions: 1 users
I wouldnt do so many NBMEs. you cant learn from them really. Id do more practice questions and only do like 2 NBMEs max plus the USWA1 and 2. You dont get too much out of doing a ton of NBMEs imo just lets you know where you are. Could be spending that time practicing more questions and learning

Makes sense, I guess since i have about three months I thought I wouldnspread out 8 exams. Now if you were to start with an nbme before you start uworld just to gauge a starting point for studying as a diagnostic which NBME would you use? Also, in regards to practice questions, I might have time to do uworld twice, but I was wondering if it made more sense to just do uworld once, make Anki cards for knowledge deficits and instead of doing it a second time, do amboss instead? Thanks

Makes sense, I guess since i have about three months I thought I wouldnspread out 8 exams. Now if you were to start with an nbme before you start uworld just to gauge a starting point for studying as a diagnostic which NBME would you use? Also, in regards to practice questions, I might have time to do uworld twice, but I was wondering if it made more sense to just do uworld once, make Anki cards for knowledge deficits and instead of doing it a second time, do amboss instead? Thanks
Save NBME 18 for last (best predictor of all NBMEs). I would start with NBME 21 or 22 for baseline. I would probably do UWorld 1x PLUS your incorrects and and Kaplan if there is time (prioritize UW of course). Use UWSA2 and NBME 18 as your predictors closer to the exam. You should be fine otherwise. Some people love Anki for everything, but i only use it for bugs and drugs. I think if I had to prioritze Anki vs Questions I would go with more questions any day of the week. Step 1 isn't just a buzzword fact exam anymore. The more questions you can do the better which will help you apply knowledge and thats what they are testing. 3 months is enough to do UW plus incorrects and like half of Kaplan if you grind hard its definitely doable. Personally, I am doing 100 questions per day and 1 day off per week.

Reactions: 1 users
Save NBME 18 for last (best predictor of all NBMEs). I would start with NBME 21 or 22 for baseline. I would probably do UWorld 1x PLUS your incorrects and and Kaplan if there is time (prioritize UW of course). Use UWSA2 and NBME 18 as your predictors closer to the exam. You should be fine otherwise. Some people love Anki for everything, but i only use it for bugs and drugs. I think if I had to prioritze Anki vs Questions I would go with more questions any day of the week. Step 1 isn't just a buzzword fact exam anymore. The more questions you can do the better which will help you apply knowledge and thats what they are testing. 3 months is enough to do UW plus incorrects and like half of Kaplan if you grind hard its definitely doable. Personally, I am doing 100 questions per day and 1 day off per week.

Real helpful, I appreciate it!

Reactions: 1 user