Step 1, Step 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new PGY-1's, What was your STEP 1 score?

• <200

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 201-210

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 211-220

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • 221-230

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 231-240

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 241-250

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 250+

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In trying to decide if my Step 1 score was worthy enough for me to put off taking Step 2 until after the match, I got to wondering what sort of scores the new PGY-1 for this year 2004-2005 got. So here's the poll, and please respond (it's anonymous)!

Members don't see this ad.

SLUsagar said:
In trying to decide if my Step 1 score was worthy enough for me to put off taking Step 2 until after the match, I got to wondering what sort of scores the new PGY-1 for this year 2004-2005 got. So here's the poll, and please respond (it's anonymous)!

You can always take it after you submit ERAS but before match day (and fill out ERAS appropriately), thus if it is good enough you can submit the score. If not, wait.

Good rule of thumb, I guess: Step I > the mean (about 225 or so), don't worry about it. Step I < the mean, you might want to try taking Step II. Of course, it also depends on what programs you are interested in. Any of the well known, famous programs, anything you can do to help your application will be beneficial. If you are looking at a program that traditionally has a lot of IMGs you will probably do well regardless. Note that all of this applies to US grads only. IMGs will always have to be somewhat proactive and do whatever they can to improve their application.

That reminds me, I was sitting down with the guy who's gonna be writing my Dean's Letter and he showed me the statistics regarding Michigan applicants going into pathology residency. The board scores were quite sick! Lots of ppl with like 240's and 250's and ****. Sick man! Sick!

Members don't see this ad :)
HotSteamingTurd said:
That reminds me, I was sitting down with the guy who's gonna be writing my Dean's Letter and he showed me the statistics regarding Michigan applicants going into pathology residency. The board scores were quite sick! Lots of ppl with like 240's and 250's and ****. Sick man! Sick!

There are lots of smart people going into pathology. Always have been. This is why I raise a bit of a red flag when people say it's an easy match. The top programs are tougher to get into.

Board scores, however, are not everything. Board scores when applying for pathology mean less than they do for other specialties (it seems to me anyway). Of course, it's still nice if you do well! But it isn't going to get you to the top of everyone's rank list.

In any case, I would imagine that getting into top residency programs in any field would be competitive. I was just impressed, not discouraged or anything like that, when I looked at those numbers. Whatever the case, clearly the USMLE score is only one aspect of a person's application.