1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Step 1 Structure

Discussion in 'Step I' started by gerido, Dec 17, 2005.

1. gerido

gerido Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I want to start studying for Step 1 so that I don't cram when summer comes, but I am so confuse about how to approach this.

I have the Kaplan 2000 QBank questions and a LLW USMLE simulator program. People on this forum keep indicating that they pick out 50 random questions to practice, but why only 50 when there are 350 total on the actual exam?

The QBank's questions are so long, it seems that good/fast comprehension/reading is just as important on this test as knowing the materials.

Also, I know there are 350 questions total, but are they distributed equally among each section? Any reccomendation of how to study the QBank is greatly appreciated. Have a good holiday everyone!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gerido

gerido Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Common, anyone?

4. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the blocks are separated into 7 50 question blocks on the real test. I believe people study the questions 50 at a time to get into the habit of taking this many questions in an hour. i think you probably really only need to simulate true testing conditions maybe once or twice to get yourself geared up for this type of test.

reading fast definitely seems like it will be beneficial. for the longer stems i hear it's helpful to read the last sentence and scan the answer choices before reading the entire stem. a lot of superfluous information will be in those long stems.

i'll be taking the test in the summer as well and am trying to come up with a solid study plan for the semester.