Step I Step 1 study during MS1 (bad test taker)

Started by C@lidoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

C@lidoc

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be starting in the fall, but couldn't get a good understanding of when is the best time to start studying for MS1. I recently heard from a dermatologist that just finished his residency that he started from the first day of MS1, using step 1 materials along with his classes and doing questions. Should I buy any books for Step 1 during MS1 and what should I do to ensure I have a good chance at a high step score.

Some important facts
-Not the best test taker ( I had to retake the MCAT to get a 34, first attempt 29)
-The school I'm going to attend is a top school, but I hear has a historically low step score
-I have heard the curriculum is more clinically oriented, so maybe this doesn't help for Step 1.

I would appreciate any advice, especially from those that didn't do too well on the MCAT or aren't the best standardized test takers.