step 1 study limbo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

absolut2017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I just was writing hoping to get some encouragement. been feeling down because I am still studying for step. I was supposed to take it a few weeks ago but did not even clear through uw one time or first aid one pass so delayed my exam.

I am an IMG. i was an average student, never had issues until now

got 160 and 170 on my school cbses in may. since then i studied and got 195 two weeks later on nbme13 then 203 about two weeks ago on uwsa1. i had about a 1 month lag period where i did not study. its been 3 months since i first initially started studying (2 months studying). its been a very slow work in progress

a part of me wants to just get it over with, but i know i dont even have the luxury of doing that because i am barely passing. i always did well in school so when i started doing nbmes and uw and such and was scoring bad, i was shell shocked because suddenly i went from being "okay" to below average and never in my life was i in this position. i always tell my self that medical school attracts some of the brightest of the brightest but it is difficult listening to the rational side

i tried to look for some encouragement on sdn but it seems as if almost everyone on here is very high-scoring. few people are the same likes of me.

i still have about a month and a half till my exam. i know i have been improving because i will read something everyday or make a huge breakthrough that i never knew before and i will realize why i was confused before but still- even though i am putting in so many hours a day, it feels like i am not moving.

if you have kind words of encouragement, it would be very appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're right in that a lot of people on this forum are high-scoring, but that doesn't mean everyone starts out that way. A lot of people need to work on test-taking skills, and not just content review, to excel on Step 1. I've worked with people who've had >50 point score increases from where you are, so it definitely can be done, don't lose hope! Far better to take the test when you're ready than to always regret not having studied more.

Reactions: 1 user