Step 1 study schedule for IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samira 0610

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I really need some suggestions for a good study schedule for step 1. I am an IMG. I am recent medical graduate. I need some suggestions about what resources I should use. I am really struggling to make a routine and how to divide my time for different systems .
Target score 250.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I’m an IMG as well and I recently did my Step 1 and scored 260. This advice is based on my experience only so take what applies to you:)

The most important ones would be UFAP- Uworld, First Aid and Pathoma. Boards and Beyond was a good resource as well that can be used to supplement UFAP. Doing NBME exams are also important to gauge your level of prep.

Depending on the amount of time you have for taking the exam, you can try the following:
1. Baseline NBME assessment since you’re a recent graduate
2. First pass of First aid and pathoma
- Do questions by topic in Uworld
- Use Boards and Beyond for difficult concepts
- Consolidate notes on first aid & write own notes
3. Focus on remembering content and do Uworld questions on timed mode (all topics in random)
- During this time, focus on reviewing difficult concepts, reviewing content from UFAP
- Uworld questions: go through them more thoroughly, including all options and explanations
- Allocate time for NBMEs periodically to gauge progress

At the end of the day, the sources you use depends on your style of studying. You can always change up your schedules and methods based on feedback on NBME assessments:) Hope this helps and all the best for your prep!

Reactions: 3 users
Oh and to answer your question on time for each system, your baseline NBME can help to identify your weaker subjects and you can use that to divide up your time!

Thanks a lot for your reply.I am planning to give the exam on next March hopefully. And I studied these basic subjects three years back as we study clinical subjects in the last 2.5years. So isn't it better to cover bnb or kaplan notes first before taking nbme?

Members don't see this ad :)
I used Kaplan notes for Biostats only. I preferred BnB for the rest of it actually. They break down concepts very well:)

Reactions: 1 user