Step 1 Study Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Laplace

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I wanted to know what the best way of studying for step would be, here's a little background:

Only 5 weeks to study

Haven't touched first aid yet
Never used Pathoma

Made As in all my classes for first 2 years (misleading because I don't trust myself to remember anything)

Made a 203 on a school mandated diagnostic test (NBME CBSSA Form 13)

With that in mind I have two questions: is it still possible to score a 250+ with only 5 weeks of studying? Most of my classmates have been studying all semester or since spring break and it's really starting to freak me out.

Also what's the most efficient way of approaching this? I was planning on doing DIT/first aid + UWorld

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld, FA and pathoma. I've heard that it's possible to improve your score by a lot in a few weeks, once you hammer in some high yields from FA. This is probably the answer you're going to get from most people on SDN.

UWorld, FA and pathoma. I've heard that it's possible to improve your score by a lot in a few weeks, once you hammer in some high yields from FA. This is probably the answer you're going to get from most people on SDN.

So should I skip DIT altogether? I've heard the repetition and recall that DIT makes you go through basically helps you get down first aid cold.

So should I skip DIT altogether? I've heard the repetition and recall that DIT makes you go through basically helps you get down first aid cold.

Preface: I too am in the same boat (straight A's, concerned about remembering ~12 classes worth of stuff for Step 1, starting to study for Step 1 hardcore now...)

My two cents: From my own perusing of sdn over the past months, and from my own experience these past few weeks, DIT seems to be good for people who "need" something else to discipline them into studying every day. Basically, DIT will give you repetition by forcing you to read FA, but recall? I'm not sure.

I am doing a modified Tau method and at this point, currently reading FA on my own and doing USMLERX. I'm starting to shift to Uworld now because I want to get through it 2x before my exam (late June)

Basically, if you are self-disciplined, spend your money elsewhere but if you need a preset structure DIT seems the way to go. Do allow more time than you think for Uworld!

In 5 weeks you can probably get through first aid 2x. For the relevant chapters for path, do pathoma along with first aid. Do UW questions for each section as you go along, annotate but dont go overboard with them as time is precious for you.
Also, give yourself some credit, you are a straight A student so you have a good foundation. Some stuff may be new but for the most part you have seen it all before.