STEP 1 Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obiwan

Attending Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a MS 1.5. I was just wondering how those who have taken Step 1 started studying for it. Did you start at the beginning of 2nd year and slowly got through stuff or was it more just the month or so before the test.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a MS 1.5. I was just wondering how those who have taken Step 1 started studying for it. Did you start at the beginning of 2nd year and slowly got through stuff or was it more just the month or so before the test.

Pick up first aid and start glancing at it as you go along during second year. As with first year, the best thing you can do in terms of board prep at this stage is to really master your second year courses. I wouldn't start any intense studying until at least winter break (most people actually waited until spring break) because you will forget more than you remember, and any extra time you have ought to be devoted to your coursework, which in second year is fairly high yield for the boards anyhow. Most people find that going through the books and Qbanks over 5 or so weeks after school ends is enough time to really hammer things in.