Step 1 Studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colts

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read multiple posts about when to start studying for Step 1, and pretty much everyone is saying something different (ranging from the beginning of the 1st year to the spring of 2nd year).

So, I've created this poll to get a better understanding of when most people study for step 1.

If one of the choices doesn't fit your step 1 studying schedule, please post when you did start studying.

Any other comments/input/links about step 1 studying would be awesome too.

Members don't see this ad.

I've read multiple posts about when to start studying for Step 1, and pretty much everyone is saying something different (ranging from the beginning of the 1st year to the spring of 2nd year).

So, I've created this poll to get a better understanding of when most people study for step 1.

If one of the choices doesn't fit your step 1 studying schedule, please post when you did start studying.

Any other comments/input/links about step 1 studying would be awesome too.

Hey, just curious how you make poll on sdn?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard 2nd year is best, I don't think I would know enough to start studying, if there were a good resource with flashcards I would think that would be best, it wouldn't be the firehose of information that a lot fo review books are.

I think these polls do more to reveal the psychology of SDN posters than what they actually do. But I do agree with the general consensus of this poll that given you took your coursework seriously you don't really need to pre-prep before spring.

I think in general to get to the 200-240 range the formula is pretty simple and can be done with taking your coursework seriously, FA, Uworld, Goljan (RR or audio) & nothing else. But everyone wants to know how you get >240 and unfortunately I think it becomes very idiosyncratic for the higher scores. Some people need 10,000+ questions; others don't. Some people need boat-loads of supplemental resources; others don't. Some people need to start pre-prep way early; others still wait 'til end of M2. And there is just innate test-taking ability & minutiae recall that you just can't learn in a year or 2.

First year studying would be overkill. If I were you I'd hit it in the summer after first yr at the EARLIEST. I'm starting in the fall of 2nd year because i like to plan ahead. G'luck

I studied for Step 1 only during the 6 weeks before the exam. In hindsight, I probably should have started studying sooner, but it's too late to change anything now. :/

I would say starting 3 months away from the exam date would have been better for me personally.

If you can get a good week of studying done during spring break of 2nd year, you are ahead of the game.

This all depends largely on how much time you actually have and how comfortable you are with the material. If you think you can do well or have a good starting point 6 weeks out, start at 6 weeks. If you think you need more time, give yourself the spring to study.

This all depends largely on how much time you actually have and how comfortable you are with the material. If you think you can do well or have a good starting point 6 weeks out, start at 6 weeks. If you think you need more time, give yourself the spring to study.

Thank you; i have the problem of obsessing over the fact that I need to learn everything and I feel like I should start early but at the same time it is impossible for anyone to know everything :cool: