Step 1 Testing Format

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thaitanium

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Can someone tell me a little about the format of the exam? You sit down and the first section is the tutorial. You can't skip the tutorial entirely (from what my friend told me) but you have to scroll page to page until the end of the tutorial. Is this correct?

You are also given time to answer the last question of a section even after the time allotted for that section is over (but would subtract from your "break" time).

How about after a section is over? Does a screen pop up showing how much break time you have left?

Thanks for any info...

Members don't see this ad.

After you finish a section and decide to go on Break, a big screen comes up saying that you are on BREAK and has a counter with the TOTAL TEST TIME remaining. Remember that USMLE is scheduled for 8 hours so if you finish the tutorial and 2 blocks in 1.5 hours the exam Break will show that you have 6.5 hours to finish the test (including your breaktime).

so u have 7 blocks of test (7 hrs) and 1 hour for breaks and lunch right? sorry its dumb question but i dont even know if we have 8 blocks or 7 blocks of questions.

omarsaleh66 said:
so u have 7 blocks of test (7 hrs) and 1 hour for breaks and lunch right? sorry its dumb question but i dont even know if we have 8 blocks or 7 blocks of questions.

Forget the content of FA, at least read the beginning part of it. Yea, it's 7 blocks, maximum 1 hr each. Rest 1 hr you can use it to read FA ;)