step 1 vs. NBME practice exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbybee22

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just wondering how good the correlation is between the score you get on either of the two practice NBME exams that you can take online (I'm NOT talking about the paper-and-pencil one at your school), and the actual step 1 exam? Does that score predict how you'll do on the actual exam fairly accurately? People who have already taken the real exam please comment. Or if you haven't, but heard good information feel free to respond.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I actually did quite a bit better on the actual step 1 than I did on the NBME practice exam. That being said, I did have a question on the boards that was pretty much identical to one on the NBME, so I recommend taking it if only for that reason!

Pinesinger said:
I actually did quite a bit better on the actual step 1 than I did on the NBME practice exam. That being said, I did have a question on the boards that was pretty much identical to one on the NBME, so I recommend taking it if only for that reason!

Ditto for me--I also did quite a bit better on the real thing. However, I didn't have any repeat questions on my actual exam. Still, its good practice before the real thing.