Step 1-What's your high score strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sky04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the people who passed usmle step 1 with a good score - What was your study strategy? .....books used, length of time studied, additional study aids used, what you focused on, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

this has been discussed far more extensively than would justify the use of the adverb "ad nauseum"

i would recommened doing a search and take a look at the plethora of posts that were posted in spring/summer of 2004

Members don't see this ad :)
DrDre' said:
BF,
You can have her, turns out she's my sister! :confused: :mad: :confused:

I hope you didn't catch her a delicious bass before you found out. :eek:

You can read other posts on this topic. There are no magic formulas. You must learn the material before you can review it.
Some things I've been told:
-Study major diseases that are encountered clinically. Avoid memorizing the eponyms of obscure diseases. Rare diseases are important if they have been well-studied, or highlight a scientific concept.
-If you are weak in one subject, then it may seem like the bulk of questions are from your weak subject. This is because many questions are multidisciplinary and may require you to derive information from several fields.
-Do not only study passively. Rewrite, take quizzes, make drawings, annotate FA, etc.
-Avoid memorizing cliche eponyms or buzzwords, unless they help you understand the concept.
-Make sure you understand the scientific concepts behind each diseases process.

Bought Bigfranks FA from ebay for $10k studied and looked over it the night before and got a 268.

I am selling it now so if anyone is interested PM me.

No one seems to want to help you out. The first poster is right though this has been covered quite a bit. Search for it and you will find more info than you need. That being said, here is my strategy:

4.5 wks, 11hrs a day for 6 days a week.
Used First Aid, BRS Pysiology and Behavioral Sci, HY Neuro, Anatomy, Embryo, Biochem, Micro.

Hope this helps.

chak_de_phatee said:
Bought Bigfranks FA from ebay for $10k studied and looked over it the night before and got a 268.

I am selling it now so if anyone is interested PM me.

Bigfranks FA what is that????

studied about 5+ weeks, 10 hours a week, 7 days a week, scored 230ish. Key is to go back and review the stuff you did earlier. First aid and qbank are great