USMLE Step 1 -- When to Start Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Is Pathoma something that should be studied throughout MS2 or should it be reserved for dedicated Step 1 studying (~6 weeks at my school)? I plan on using Firecracker during the MS2 curriculum, but I'm not sure if I should try to integrate Pathoma as well.

Thanks!

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everybody -

Quick question:

Is Pathoma something that should be studied throughout MS2 or should it be reserved for dedicated Step 1 studying (~6 weeks at my school)? I plan on using Firecracker during the MS2 curriculum, but I'm not sure if I should try to integrate Pathoma as well.

Thanks!

-Bill

Throughout M2 along with classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I think doing it during second year is a good idea. I reviewed the Pathoma chapter every time we got to the equivalent Robbins chapter, and it made getting through the pathology for school a lot easier.

I used the corresponding Pathoma chapter with each module during M-2. I wasn't able to fully understand and remember the content from Pathoma during my first 1-2 passes of it. By the time I took Step 1 I had watched Pathoma 4-5 times (2-3 times each module, 1-2 times during dedicated), which allowed me to thoroughly memorize nearly all of it.

Thank you all very much for the feedback! I will go ahead and do a 12-month subscription. I have heard that Pathoma (along with FA, FC, and the Sketchy videos) is essential for Step 1 preparation, so I definitely want to give myself enough time to go through the book and videos.

-Bill