Step 2 advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ernst212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be a fourth year MS in June and interested in ophthalmology. I didnt do as hot on step 1 as i hoped, ended up with a 232. I'm top 10% of class and got honors on all rotations except IM. research is average with one pub not ophtho. Was hoping for some advice regarding having to take Step 2 early and when that would be. Is it pretty much necessary for me with my stats to take Step 2 in July? Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

232 is solid, and the rest of your academics seem up to par. How is research and letter of recs coming along? If your entire application is as well rounded as your academics, wouldn't worry too much about step 2, as your risk, albeit small, of getting a lower score still exists.

I had a very below average step 1 score and thought I needed to focus on step 2. While I did do better on step 2, it was never mentioned though my step 1 score was brought up multiple times at interviews. I don't think you will help yourself very much by taking step 2 early. There is the risk you could do poorly and to do well you will need to invest a significant amount of time studying. I don't think ophtho program directors are used to seeing and interpreting step 2 scores because it is an early match. You may be better off using the time you would take studying early for step 2 to shadow ophtho docs at your home institution, to make personal connections, secure letters of recommendation, or get involved with ophtho research projects that you could write about or talk about at interviews. While below the 238 averaged matched score last year, 232 is pretty solid and I wouldn't worry tremendously unless you are dead set on a top 10 program, and even then I think you could overcome being screened out with a good enough application. Most of my friends took step 2 after they had matched and felt much less pressure to do well.