Step 2 CK advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodvibes27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am hoping to get some advise regarding step 2 CK. I am an IMG. Planning on applying next year. Waiting for my step 1 score, which will probably be pretty average considering by NBMEs. I'll put my experience on the Step 1 thread once I get my score.

I took way tooo long to prep for Step 1, and don't wanna make the same mistakes, so I thought it's better to take some help this time around.

Right now I'm thinking about starting with FA and onlinemeded videos (not sure whether I should buy the package with the notes, etc but I think I should). Also thinking about getting SUTM for reference.

Now regarding qbanks. I'm confused whether I should do a round of Kaplan, and then start UW? I do wanna have a quick run through of the material before starting UW, otherwise taking notes bogs me down.

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I am hoping to get some advise regarding step 2 CK. I am an IMG. Planning on applying next year. Waiting for my step 1 score, which will probably be pretty average considering by NBMEs. I'll put my experience on the Step 1 thread once I get my score.

I took way tooo long to prep for Step 1, and don't wanna make the same mistakes, so I thought it's better to take some help this time around.

Right now I'm thinking about starting with FA and onlinemeded videos (not sure whether I should buy the package with the notes, etc but I think I should). Also thinking about getting SUTM for reference.

Now regarding qbanks. I'm confused whether I should do a round of Kaplan, and then start UW? I do wanna have a quick run through of the material before starting UW, otherwise taking notes bogs me down.

Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much

Uworld and UWSAs will be sufficient

Reactions: 1 users
I just took CK, I passed it on my 1st attempt, and here are my 2 cents. Many students believe Step 2 CK is much easier than Step 1. Well, this is absolutely not true! I have seen people failing Step 2 CK more often compared to Step 1. But here is why:
1. Many students don't take this exam seriously. Because they think it is easy and it is not.
2. The passing score for Step 2CK is higher than step 1 (209 vs. 192)
3. It is harder to prepare for step 2CK compared to step 1. First, because you have to prepare for it while you are most likely doing your rotations. And second, there is no single perfect study aid for Step 2CK. UWORLD has done a decent job compared to other books/test banks but still not perfect. The only way to ace this exam is to know more medicine. Period. They will throw cases at you that you might not even know they exist. For example, I had few dentistry related questions in my exam.
4. You need a higher stamina to finish this exam. It is longer than Step 1 and needs more critical thinking.
Having said that, I think it is doable. Make sure to take as much as you can out of your core rotations. Learn a lot, see a lot, study a lot. I think that is the best strategy to prepare for this exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just took CK, I passed it on my 1st attempt, and here are my 2 cents. Many students believe Step 2 CK is much easier than Step 1. Well, this is absolutely not true! I have seen people failing Step 2 CK more often compared to Step 1. But here is why:
1. Many students don't take this exam seriously. Because they think it is easy and it is not.
2. The passing score for Step 2CK is higher than step 1 (209 vs. 192)
3. It is harder to prepare for step 2CK compared to step 1. First, because you have to prepare for it while you are most likely doing your rotations. And second, there is no single perfect study aid for Step 2CK. UWORLD has done a decent job compared to other books/test banks but still not perfect. The only way to ace this exam is to know more medicine. Period. They will throw cases at you that you might not even know they exist. For example, I had few dentistry related questions in my exam.
4. You need a higher stamina to finish this exam. It is longer than Step 1 and needs more critical thinking.
Having said that, I think it is doable. Make sure to take as much as you can out of your core rotations. Learn a lot, see a lot, study a lot. I think that is the best strategy to prepare for this exam.

Yeah I heard that Step 2 CK is easier too, but after reading the CK experience thread, I kind of got the picture that it's way more vague, and you've got to be able to think through it in the way you described.

It does seem harder to prep for CK, Step 1 has a fixed formula and that's it pretty much. I'm spending a little time figuring out how I wanna go about things on this one, and hopefully not make the same mistakes I made earlier.

I am an IMG, and I've graduated. So, I don't have any rotations to prep alongside with, but I do have more time. Plus if I am able to get some clinical experience in the US, I'm sure that'll help. Thanks for your advise. And congratulations on passing!

I don't know why people say Uworld is sufficient. Perhaps for a very well prepared person who study hard for the boards. Uworld covered maybe 30% of my exam. Very different from step 1, where it covers most of it. And seriously, if you read the questions carefully once, that's much better than going through the q bank 3 times. Use different Qbank-Step2, the more you use, the more content you'll cover. Read the explanations carefully and don't underestimate this exam. I used Uworld + step 2 Fa + usmlrx and the only thing I regret is not going through Kaplan or the rest of usmlerx.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know why people say Uworld is sufficient. Perhaps for a very well prepared person who study hard for the boards. Uworld covered maybe 30% of my exam. Very different from step 1, where it covers most of it. And seriously, if you read the questions carefully once, that's much better than going through the q bank 3 times. Use different Qbank-Step2, the more you use, the more content you'll cover. Read the explanations carefully and don't underestimate this exam. I used Uworld + step 2 Fa + usmlrx and the only thing I regret is not going through Kaplan or the rest of usmlerx.
Sorry I'm still a week away from taking the exam but I find it very hard to imagine this being true.

Reactions: 1 user

I am planning on using Step 2 CK FA and UW too, also OME.

Truthfully, I want to go through another qbank, but I know how slow I was as I struggled through UW for Step 1. I'm worried that I'll just be dreadfully slow if I add another qbank into the mix, and maybe have more resources than I can handle.

I'll think about what you've mentioned. Thanks so much for your advise.

I am planning on using Step 2 CK FA and UW too, also OME.

Truthfully, I want to go through another qbank, but I know how slow I was as I struggled through UW for Step 1. I'm worried that I'll just be dreadfully slow if I add another qbank into the mix, and maybe have more resources than I can handle.

I'll think about what you've mentioned. Thanks so much for your advise.

Just develop a plan taking into account how much time you have, leave Uworld for last. See how many question she you can do in a day and stop doing other Qbanks when it's time to focus on Uworld. Personally though, I found usmle rx a great Qbank to do on the phone while I have a bit of downtime during the day (did it alongside uworld, i was working fulltime). Just do the question, read the explanation, move on. Uworld I felt like I had to take notes in a word document.

Last edited:
Just develop a plan taking into account how much time you have, leave Uworld for last. See how many question she you can do in a day and stop doing other Qbanks when it's time to focus on Uworld. Personally though, I found usmle rx a great Qbank to do on the phone while I have a bit of downtime during the day (did it alongside uworld, i was working fulltime). Just do the question, read the explanation, move on. Uworld I felt like I had to take notes in a word document.

Yeah, I agree, if I did decide to use a second qbank. I would read explanations and move on. Can't make notes for two qbanks, it's unrealistic, I'll be swimming in notes forever. ‍♀️

By the way, I was wondering what made you decide to do Usmle Rx, instead of Kaplan.

Yeah, I agree, if I did decide to use a second qbank. I would read explanations and move on. Can't make notes for two qbanks, it's unrealistic, I'll be swimming in notes forever. ‍♀️

By the way, I was wondering what made you decide to do Usmle Rx, instead of Kaplan.

I was short on time, thought Uworld was a bit too easy. (Was getting 75-90% per block when I was half way through. It has the option to do hard questions only, so I thought that would be ideal for me (Had too many breaks during work that weren't really productive). It helped me for a couple of questions. I'm sure it made a difference. Did about 20 questions a day during weekdays, got through the 500 hard questions in a month.

I was short on time, thought Uworld was a bit too easy. (Was getting 75-90% per block when I was half way through. It has the option to do hard questions only, so I thought that would be ideal for me (Had too many breaks during work that weren't really productive). It helped me for a couple of questions. I'm sure it made a difference. Did about 20 questions a day during weekdays, got through the 500 hard questions in a month.

Haha I doubt that I'd find Uworld easy. Thanks man, for your input. I appreciate it. I'll figure out my plan of action now. By the way, congratulations on passing and doing so well !