Step 2 CK error and match. What to do next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakep2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I'm a long time lurker, not much of a poster. I have a few questions I am hoping someone (who may know someone who may know someone) can provide me with what my best next steps would be.

Long story short, I wrote my Step 2 CK in late 2017, had some technical issues with software which NBME investigated and came to the conclusion that my scores were affected by the error and that they would remove the exam from record in its entirety. With the error (undisclosed by the NBME - but I am assuming that my answers from maybe an entire block (or two)? were not recorded as answers and left blank?), I received a failing score shy of a couple points. I applied for match this year and spent a good few grand on applications, had some IVs. Now I'm not sure if I am going to be able to make deadlines on time. NBME offered a refund in credit that will be available in a couple of weeks.

I'm realistically thinking I'm going to have to withdraw from the match... maaaaybe I can SOAP? More likely than not, I'm going to for next year's match cycle... but the ERAS application fees are a real nut-buster. I tried calling ERAS and explained the situation, but they have a no refund policy regardless of the circumstance.

What would be my best option from here?
Is there any way to possibly get some form of credit or refund for the applications? (That's where the money's at :/)

Any form of suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

FWIW: UWorld overall first pass was 82%, UWSA form I 252. No NBMEs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone.

I'm a long time lurker, not much of a poster. I have a few questions I am hoping someone (who may know someone who may know someone) can provide me with what my best next steps would be.

Long story short, I wrote my Step 2 CK in late 2017, had some technical issues with software which NBME investigated and came to the conclusion that my scores were affected by the error and that they would remove the exam from record in its entirety. With the error (undisclosed by the NBME - but I am assuming that my answers from maybe an entire block (or two)? were not recorded as answers and left blank?), I received a failing score shy of a couple points. I applied for match this year and spent a good few grand on applications, had some IVs. Now I'm not sure if I am going to be able to make deadlines on time. NBME offered a refund in credit that will be available in a couple of weeks.

I'm realistically thinking I'm going to have to withdraw from the match... maaaaybe I can SOAP? More likely than not, I'm going to for next year's match cycle... but the ERAS application fees are a real nut-buster. I tried calling ERAS and explained the situation, but they have a no refund policy regardless of the circumstance.

Is there any way to possibly get some form of credit or refund for the applications? (That's where the money's at :/)

Thanks in advance.

are you an IMG? if so, then you will be automatically removed from the match since you don't have passed scores.
if you are an AMG or a DO, then it shouldn't matter unless programs have told you that they won't rank you unless you have passed scores.

bigger question is why haven't you retaken the test by now?

Reactions: 1 user
are you an IMG? if so, then you will be automatically removed from the match since you don't have passed scores.
if you are an AMG or a DO, then it shouldn't matter unless programs have told you that they won't rank you unless you have passed scores.

bigger question is why haven't you retaken the test by now?

AMG with crap step 1 score. Programs asked me why I didn't have Step 2 CK score when I did IVs, I told them that I will/have wrote in late Dec, and they told me they won't rank me without a passing score. I didn't retake the exam because I received the letter today.

I called my advisers and they basically told me that this is a SUPER rare case... :(

AMG with crap step 1 score. Programs asked me why I didn't have Step 2 CK score when I did IVs, I told them that I will/have wrote in late Dec, and they told me they won't rank me without a passing score. I didn't retake the exam because I received the letter today.

I called my advisers and they basically told me that this is a SUPER rare case... :(

Contact your programs, possibly with your School's additional info and tell them exactly this. You can't make them do anything, but if they don't know what's going on, that won't help.

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance.

I am sorry but this doesn’t make any sense or you are not telling us the actual story. If there were computer problem, you would not have received any score. As simple as that. It sucks if you failed but just own it. I think you should make sure you manage to get great scores on your next attempt and then match the following year.

Contact your programs, possibly with your School's additional info and tell them exactly this. You can't make them do anything, but if they don't know what's going on, that won't help.

I will definitely do that, thank you for the advice.

I am sorry but this doesn’t make any sense or you are not telling us the actual story. If there were computer problem, you would not have received any score. As simple as that. It sucks if you failed but just own it. I think you should make sure you manage to get great scores on your next attempt and then match the following year.

So basically, when I was taking the exam, the software glitched, called the Prometrics proctor, they noted it, fixed it and reported it. I also wrote the feedback at the end of the exam. Since it was so quickly resolved, not much thought went into the matter. The day my score was released, I called NBME because I honestly didn't believe the score and they said they will look into it (apparently, if you encounter issues you should inform them within 10 days of your exam, which I did not do). And they got back to me today telling me there was a problem.

I don't know where I stood for that exam since there wasn't much details provided... but I do wish that I did perform good enough to pass regardless of the circumstance. A pass with the error and the option of taking the score or re-writing, that's another dilemma I don't wish upon anyone.

Why should he own a failure for which the NBME accepts responsibility? It's unheard of in my experience for them to ever admit errors on their part and when for once they acknowledge it, you tell OP to own his fail? I'd say your response was a little misguided and hair trigger.

Why should he own a failure for which the NBME accepts responsibility? It's unheard of in my experience for them to ever admit errors on their part and when for once they acknowledge it, you tell OP to own his fail? I'd say your response was a little misguided and hair trigger.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the scenario. I just don’t get that he “failed” the exam when they acknowledged a technical error. This should not have resulted in any score or attempt. So my point was that maybe the fail was independent of any software glitches that appear to have been fixed right away. You seem to have more insight into the matter and are obviously a better human being. Thanks for being a moral compass in this sad world.

If I understand the story correctly -- you took CK, had what you thought was a minor software issue, received a failing score, contested the score, after investigation the USMLE determined the exam was invalid and they "erased" your score and gave you a refund (or will let you register again without any fees).

But the problem is you've spent lots of money on ERAS fees, and now you feel your chances of matching are very limited because you don't have a S2 score.

Assuming that's the gist:

ERAS won't refund your fees. As you mention, they have a no refund policy. And as far as ERAS is concerned, this isn't their fault at all. Which it isn't.

The question is whether you can get the USMLE to refund your fees. The likely answer is "probably not". They also probably have text in their agreements that say they are not responsible for anything more than the cost of the exam if something goes wrong -- much like the airlines are only responsible for your airfare if delays cause you to miss your prepaid vacation.

Next, you could consider getting prometric to reimburse your fees. In some ways, they are the "most liable" for this problem, since it was a hardware/software issue at their site. But again, it wouldn't surprise me if the conditions you agreed to when you signed up immunize them from claims like this.

So in the end, I think you're unlikely to get your fees back. You could ask nicely to the USMLE or Prometric, but seems unlikely. I think you have no chance with ERAS -- they make it super clear they don't refund. The real question is whether you're going to continue to participate in the match. Some programs might still rank you, esp if you explain what happened. Or you withdraw, and try again next year, but that costs you a whole year.

Last edited:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the scenario. I just don’t get that he “failed” the exam when they acknowledged a technical error. This should not have resulted in any score or attempt. So my point was that maybe the fail was independent of any software glitches that appear to have been fixed right away. You seem to have more insight into the matter and are obviously a better human being. Thanks for being a moral compass in this sad world.

The NBME states that any errors experienced should be reported to them within 10 days of writing the exam so that they can start their investigation sooner rather than later. The glitches I experience were quickly resolved and I did not think to report it (and did not know of this policy at that time). The score report was given to me with a failed score as a result of the glitches. I spoke with the test administrators and they states that although these glitches rarely occur, when they do occur and exam takers do receive a score (with the glitches affecting results) regardless. They are then given the option to keep the score (if the score turns out to be a pass - eg. maybe 10 questions glitched out so it did not affect it too greatly) or get a free re-write.

In my case, the glitches (with my actual knowledge and efforts) resulted in a below passing score, so I am simply offered a re-write. I'd like to think that since I experienced the glitches in multiple blocks, there it affected numerous questions... but that's just what I am assuming. It may just be a poor performance overall. I can't say for certain and I am not informed of what exactly went wrong.

TL;DR: They do provide score even if they acknowledge errors on their own end. The offer they make differs based on whether the affected score is passing or below passing.

If I understand the story correctly -- you took CK, had what you thought was a minor software issue, received a failing score, contested the score, after investigation the USMLE determined the exam was invalid and they "erased" your score and gave you a refund (or will let you register again without any fees).

But the problem is you've spent lots of money on ERAS fees, and now you feel your chances of matching are very limited because you don't have a S2 score.

Assuming that's the gist:

ERAS won't refund your fees. As you mention, they have a no refund policy. And as far as ERAS is concerned, this isn't their fault at all. Which it isn't.

The question is whether you can get the USMLE to refund your fees. The likely answer is "probably not". They also probably have text in their agreements that say they are not responsible for anything more than the cost of the exam if something goes wrong -- much like the airlines are only responsible for your airfare if delays cause you to miss your prepaid vacation.

Next, you could consider getting prometric to reimburse your fees. In some ways, they are the "most liable" for this problem, since it was a hardware/software issue at their site. But again, it wouldn't surprise me if the conditions you agreed to when you signed up immunize them from claims like this.

So in the end, I think you're unlikely to get your fees back. You could ask nicely to the NRMP or Prometric, but seems unlikely. I think you have no chance with ERAS -- they make it super clear they don't refund. The real question is whether you're going to continue to participate in the match. Some programs might still rank you, esp if you explain what happened. Or you withdraw, and try again next year, but that costs you a whole year.

Thank you for your kind suggestions.

I am making some phone calls to inform programs of my situation, despite them making it clear that I need a passing score prior to rank deadline. I am hoping they understand, but it certainly is a gamble. I could take the chance and try to match, or take the safe route and not have the unmatched status and try to make use of the year as best as possible (and try not to cry over the wasted money).

Also, I never thought of contacting Prometrics or NRMP. I will definitely try it since it doesn't hurt to try. But I certainly agree with you that they probably have some sort of failsafe written in their terms of agreement somewhere.

A colleague suggested that I call NBME and inquire them about the residency applications fees and the situation and see what they can recommend or if they would try and provide any form of reimbursement. A part of me is slightly fearful of them 'changing their mind' with their decision and just telling me "okay fine, take your failed score, we won't be responsible anymore"... kind of like treading on thin ice...

I'll definitely try your suggestions though, thanks so much.

A quick check of the USMLE Bulletin of Information finds this:

IMPORTANT The USMLE makes every effort to ensure that your registration information is properly processed and that the Step examinations are properly prepared, administered, and scored. In the unlikely event that an error occurs in the preparation, processing, administration, or scoring of your USMLE examination or in the reporting of your USMLE scores, the USMLE will make reasonable efforts to correct the error, if possible, or permit you either to retest at no additional fee or to receive a refund of the examination fee. These are the exclusive remedies available to examinees for errors in the registration process; in preparing, processing, or administering exams; or in determining or reporting scores.

By signing up for the exam, you agree to all of the points in the bulletin. This is clear that they won't reimburse you.

I wrote "NRMP" in my post incorrectly, I meant USMLE. The NRMP isn't going to refund your fees either, and in any case, that's not worth the effort.

A quick check of the USMLE Bulletin of Information finds this:

By signing up for the exam, you agree to all of the points in the bulletin. This is clear that they won't reimburse you.

I wrote "NRMP" in my post incorrectly, I meant USMLE. The NRMP isn't going to refund your fees either, and in any case, that's not worth the effort.

I see. That's not great to hear. :(
But, I guess things could be worse. More importantly, I'll focus moreso on whether I want to continue to attempt my match for this year's cycle, or take the "safer" route of matching next year without having unmatched status.

I hope it is safe to assume that you are a program director somewhere? May I inquire if an applicant has written documentation from the NBME for a circumstance, such as mine, and provide it during interviews for reasons why they went one year post-grad not matched (not unmatched), would it be viewed very negatively? Also, if the candidate demonstrates that the spent the year diligently perhaps doing research, or other work in some clinical environment?

I know the question is slightly out of scope to the thread I generated, if you wish not to answer, I totally understand.

Thanks again!

I hope it is safe to assume that you are a program director somewhere?

Yuuuup. (Too much Storage Wars last night)

More importantly, I'll focus moreso on whether I want to continue to attempt my match for this year's cycle, or take the "safer" route of matching next year without having unmatched status.

This is often mentioned here on SDN, and isn't exactly accurate. It's true that prior grads match at a lower rate than US seniors. However, that's because the prior grad pool is concentrated with people who had trouble matching the first time, hence it's no surprise that they have trouble matching the second. So, it's not that programs discard apps from prior grads, it's that those applications tend to have problems in them that make it more difficult to match.

Thus, if you've already graduated but don't have a big problem with your application, your match experience will likely be similar to a senior US MD student

May I inquire if an applicant has written documentation from the NBME for a circumstance, such as mine, and provide it during interviews for reasons why they went one year post-grad not matched (not unmatched), would it be viewed very negatively? Also, if the candidate demonstrates that the spent the year diligently perhaps doing research, or other work in some clinical environment?

I don't think it will be seen negatively at all. I think you'd tell your story in your PS, and you'd want to have the same story in your MSPE.

Reactions: 2 users

This is often mentioned here on SDN, and isn't exactly accurate. It's true that prior grads match at a lower rate than US seniors. However, that's because the prior grad pool is concentrated with people who had trouble matching the first time, hence it's no surprise that they have trouble matching the second. So, it's not that programs discard apps from prior grads, it's that those applications tend to have problems in them that make it more difficult to match.

Thus, if you've already graduated but don't have a big problem with your application, your match experience will likely be similar to a senior US MD student

I don't think it will be seen negatively at all. I think you'd tell your story in your PS, and you'd want to have the same story in your MSPE.

Is there any harm in having the OP continue with this Match, especially since the ERAS fees are not recoverable? Since he's an AMG, he won't be automatically withdrawn by NRMP, and programs might rank without the score once they know the story. I have one applicant this cycle with a low Step 1 who had extenuating circumstances that precluded her taking Step 2 early enough for the score to get reported before ROLs are due. We haven't had our final meeting yet, but I think we're going to take the risk and rank her anyway, even though it's not our policy. If the OP doesn't match and isn't successful in SOAP, he can still apply next year.

Thanks for being disingenuous.

I've heard some mixed reviews about Storage Wars. I haven't seen a single episode myself, but maybe I should start watching to get my mind off things for a little bit.

In any case, thank you so much again for your input!

Is there any harm in having the OP continue with this Match, especially since the ERAS fees are not recoverable? Since he's an AMG, he won't be automatically withdrawn by NRMP, and programs might rank without the score once they know the story. I have one applicant this cycle with a low Step 1 who had extenuating circumstances that precluded her taking Step 2 early enough for the score to get reported before ROLs are due. We haven't had our final meeting yet, but I think we're going to take the risk and rank her anyway, even though it's not our policy. If the OP doesn't match and isn't successful in SOAP, he can still apply next year.

That is one of my major concerns. As far as I have heard, going 'unmatched' is considered a 'red flag'. But given my circumstances, I am really wishing that if I do go with the match and end up unmtached... the 'red flag' could be overlooked next year due to the circumstance.

Thank you for sharing your story about this match cycle. It does give me some hope that perhaps programs may consider my situation.

Participating in the match or not is ultimately the big decision I have to make. I did contact the program coordinators for the programs I did my interviews with who informed me that they would relay the information to the committee. I'm not much of a gambler, and am extremely cautious with risk vs. reward plays... but I do have some time to decide before ROL deadlines to opt for withdraw if I decide to take that route.

That is one of my major concerns. As far as I have heard, going 'unmatched' is considered a 'red flag'. But given my circumstances, I am really wishing that if I do go with the match and end up unmtached... the 'red flag' could be overlooked next year due to the circumstance.

Thank you for sharing your story about this match cycle. It does give me some hope that perhaps programs may consider my situation.

Participating in the match or not is ultimately the big decision I have to make. I did contact the program coordinators for the programs I did my interviews with who informed me that they would relay the information to the committee. I'm not much of a gambler, and am extremely cautious with risk vs. reward plays... but I do have some time to decide before ROL deadlines to opt for withdraw if I decide to take that route.
1. Point of clarification...@mcl is a PC...so has a lot of experience with the match.
2. You have absolutely nothing to lose by going in the Match this cycle. Nothing. Sure, you may not match...but you might. If you don't, next year programs won't really know until they view your app, that you didn't Match this year or if you didn't go into the Match. Either way, it's really a non-issue (compared to the larger issue of being a year out). And either way, you have the same story to tell in your PS.

Reactions: 2 users
The one thing the OP has to "lose" going into this year's match is matching somewhere and losing out on a "better" match elsewhere. Which is really unfortunate, if the story is as described this is no fault of theirs. So, if their rank list contains all places they would like to go / be happy at, then no problem. But if they have a rank list with 5 "I love it" programs, 5 "I'll be OK" programs, and 5 "Boy I hope I don't end up here, but seems better than nothing" programs, then it's more of a gamble.

But, looking at everything, if the ERAS fees were a big problem, then the OP's best option is to continue with the match and get a salary. Pulling out yields another year of lost income, another round of ERAS fees, and an unknown outcome next year.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Point of clarification...@mcl is a PC...so has a lot of experience with the match.
2. You have absolutely nothing to lose by going in the Match this cycle. Nothing. Sure, you may not match...but you might. If you don't, next year programs won't really know until they view your app, that you didn't Match this year or if you didn't go into the Match. Either way, it's really a non-issue (compared to the larger issue of being a year out). And either way, you have the same story to tell in your PS.

The one thing the OP has to "lose" going into this year's match is matching somewhere and losing out on a "better" match elsewhere. Which is really unfortunate, if the story is as described this is no fault of theirs. So, if their rank list contains all places they would like to go / be happy at, then no problem. But if they have a rank list with 5 "I love it" programs, 5 "I'll be OK" programs, and 5 "Boy I hope I don't end up here, but seems better than nothing" programs, then it's more of a gamble.

But, looking at everything, if the ERAS fees were a big problem, then the OP's best option is to continue with the match and get a salary. Pulling out yields another year of lost income, another round of ERAS fees, and an unknown outcome next year.

Thank you for your input. I have took some time this weekend to really weigh out the pros and cons, and as mentioned... if I withdrawal and spend a year off or go unmatched the story is the same. Once I considered this, it isn't really as big a gamble as I had initially assumed. I informed all the programs of my situation and will be taking 2-3 weeks to re-write the CK and stay in the match.

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions! I truly appreciate it.

I hope everyone has a blessed day. And I shall continue back with my CK grind (again).