Dawkter

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Just curious if most of you would recommend taking step 2 CK early in fourth year before applying for anesthesia residency. I was considering pushing to Jan/Feb but do not want to do this if step 2 scores are important for anesthesia applicants. When did most of you end up taking this exam? Thanks!

PMPMD

4G MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2001
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Just curious if most of you would recommend taking step 2 CK early in fourth year before applying for anesthesia residency. I was considering pushing to Jan/Feb but do not want to do this if step 2 scores are important for anesthesia applicants. When did most of you end up taking this exam? Thanks!
Check with the programs - mine would not rank candidates unless they had step 2CK. Taking it in Feb could be dicey.

PreciousDex

ASA Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Check with the programs - mine would not rank candidates unless they had step 2CK. Taking it in Feb could be dicey.
+1 - the majority of programs i applied to this year required both CK and CS scores to be in before they would rank us

pie944

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
Took both of the exams CS/CK in Feb. Applied to a wide variety of programs, none had issues with it. If you feel a strong Step 2 will help that part of your application, I would take it. If you feel it really won't add anything to your application, put it off, unless programs are requiring it.

Last edited:

Lightwand

5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
It is variable between programs, and some of it depends on how well you did on Step 1. We don't require Step 2 to rank, but it definitely makes us evaluate you a little bit more closely if you don't have it.

I believe Step 2 correlates much more closely with board passage rates, as compared to Step 1, so that is part of the reason programs like to see it.