Aug 10, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I just finished off my MS3 year and I began my MPH year. I originally planned to take my Step 2 CK in August, but I decided to put it off. I am now planning to extend eligibility period so that I can take the test in December.

My question is If I will be meeting the eligibility requirement since I am now technically enrolled in the Graduate College (public health) even though I am in the md/mph joint program. The USMLE bulletin says you have to be enrolled in accredited MD program but I am not sure if it strictly means you should be doing the MD program and not other joint program like mph or maybe even phd program. In the same note, I also wonder if Phd students can technically take step 1 or 2 during their phd years although they must be busy with their program as well.

I would appreciate advise from anyone with knowledge in this.

Last edited:

Phloston

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2012
Osaka, Japan
Yes, you can sit it. You'll be fine. I took it at the end of my first research year and had technically been enrolled in the grad school and on LoA from the SoM for a year at that point.

Reactions: corsair3141592

JiniInBottle

5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2011
Status
Medical Student
when would you have issue? As in if you take a break after finishing your med school and then take it? would it be a problem? May be half a year break?