Step 2 CK in time for Match, when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask when I should take Step 2 CK by in order for my score to be included in my application so that I may be given an interview (meaning I am not thrown in the trash by a cutoff). Didn't do as well on Step 1 as I had hoped so I wanted to improve on my Step 2 score tremendously. Obviously, I know board scores aren't everything, but putting all other things aside, when is the very last time I can take it to count to get the interview? I am assuming if I get an interview even before Step 2, they would get the score, unless I choose not to send it. If I decide to save the score, how long does it take for residencies to receive it, when I unclick it to send it? :eek: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Lovella said:
I wanted to ask when I should take Step 2 CK by in order for my score to be included in my application so that I may be given an interview (meaning I am not thrown in the trash by a cutoff). Didn't do as well on Step 1 as I had hoped so I wanted to improve on my Step 2 score tremendously. Obviously, I know board scores aren't everything, but putting all other things aside, when is the very last time I can take it to count to get the interview? I am assuming if I get an interview even before Step 2, they would get the score, unless I choose not to send it. If I decide to save the score, how long does it take for residencies to receive it, when I unclick it to send it? :eek: :confused:

my recommendation is to have step 2 scores back by the time you apply in sept, thus, i'd take it in aug (takes a month to get back). you can start applying in sept, and you'll be surprised, you'll get a few interview BEFORE the deadline, by say october (even though most app. info says deadlines for apps are nov/dec). You want a good step 2 score on your app asap...your might be immed rejected without it assuming you have a subpar step 1.

I have a follow-up question, If I take the board in mid-Aug,, do I still have the option not to release my step 2 scores if I submit my ERAS application on Sept 1st? Thanks....

I believe so. You need to make sure to indicate that you do not want the score released until you have seen it. The ERAS application asks only about your status for the test. In your case you would answer either "will take" or "pending." And the transcript from the NBME is electronic. If you order it resent with the new information, it will eb available immediately.

Members don't see this ad :)
Along the same line with the poster, I was going to take my step 2ck sometimes in mid July(to have included in my application), but I wanted to consider pushing it back to mid august. How is that going to affect timeliness of my application?

Would I have to wait until Mid Sept (since it take 4 weeks for the score), see the score, then add it manually into the application then submit it? Or is the score sent automatically to my application when I choose to have it included and gets updated into my application, therefore, I don't have to know my score before I send my application?

I guess what I am trying to say is would delaying taking step 2 ck (mid august) cause turning in the application substantially later than taking it in mid july? I just keep hearing how important it is to turn in application early, but at the same time, I wanted to do well on Step 2ck so I am willing to sacrifice sometime to send my applications, but not too late.

Thanks for your comments.

The score transcript that you order when hyou apply can be re-transmitted through ERAS when the Step 2 score comes back. So, on the application you can indicate "will take" or "score pending" and then transmit it later. That is what many of us had to do, since the COMLEX is taken in August and we get scores in October.

I really **would not** sacrifice any time getting your application in. Many programs do not wait for the Dean's Letter to begin selecting candidates for interviews. I know for my field last year, UVa and several other programs closed for interviews about a week after the Deans Letters came out - they offer a limited number of interviews, and had already reached capacity by that time.