Step 2 CK question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GasMan4425

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched the threads but I wanted to ask specifically to those who've gone through the process. I'm applying anesthesiology this next cycle, medical school in Texas, mostly H's in preclinical and clinical coursework and in the top quartile but a step 1 score of 233. I was going to take step 2 CK early August but am now considering pushing it back to mid September so I have the option of when to send it out to programs in ERAS. It would also be nice for some extra time to study. Do you think I'll receive enough interview offers if I postpone and my score doesn't come out until late October? Thanks for the time.

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched the threads but I wanted to ask specifically to those who've gone through the process. I'm applying anesthesiology this next cycle, medical school in Texas, mostly H's in preclinical and clinical coursework and in the top quartile but a step 1 score of 233. I was going to take step 2 CK early August but am now considering pushing it back to mid September so I have the option of when to send it out to programs in ERAS. It would also be nice for some extra time to study. Do you think I'll receive enough interview offers if I postpone and my score doesn't come out until late October? Thanks for the time.

Just matched this past year at Texas program. Your step 1 is competitive for about 95% of the programs out there most likely. Having said that though, if you really think you can improve like 240+ on step 2 then go for it. 4 or so weeks of dedicated studying is definitely enough to do well on step 2. Good to get it over with and just focus on the interview season or aways. I don't think you could do wrong. 233 on step 1 is good for anesthesia, but it doesn't really differentiate you from others to be honest. So a good step 2 right out the gate gives the admissions people a more complete picture of you which I think is good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just matched to anesthesia. 1st quartile step 1 233. Step 2 253. Unfortunately unless you have aoa, your step 2 will not get you more interviews if you're looking at the brighams, stanfords, or dukes. I was waitlisted there. Also don't apply to Colorado unless you're from Colorado.