Step 2 CK question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barmay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the test on monday and was hoping somebody out there can clarify this for me. How many audio questions should I expect from this test? and what are they like, is it something you can get from the question or do you really have to listen to heart sounds and figure out what the murmer is?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think I had 4-6. I don't think the question stem gives the answer but it might help narrow things down. They have a picture of a chest that you auscultate at different areas thus the murmur is louder at some areas then others. I wouldn't sweat them, they are a small fraction & who knows which ones count.

wow, 6 questions! I am probably gonna get them all wrong if I need to actually figure them out just by listening to them

audio questions are easy if you read the question stem. the hints are there.

Members don't see this ad :)
well I guess I will get those 3 questions wrong. I just don't have the ears to figure out if its a systolic or diastolic murmer!

If you read the question prompt, you can usually get it right.

For example, does the infant have cyanosis? If you play the audio, is the murmur continuous and machine-like... not rocket science and definitely doable!

I had 3 audio Q on my step 2. I had a pretty good idea what the correct answer was simply from the stem, and probably could have answered 2/3 without the audio.

Well just to answer my own question and to re-confirm what everyone else just said. The three audio questions can be answered without listening to the heart sounds.

I really feel bad for all of you who haven't took it yet. Its probably the worse thing you are ever going to experience for the rest of your life. Its probably equal to child birth or passing a kidney stone

Well just to answer my own question and to re-confirm what everyone else just said. The three audio questions can be answered without listening to the heart sounds.

I really feel bad for all of you who haven't took it yet. Its probably the worse thing you are ever going to experience for the rest of your life. Its probably equal to child birth or passing a kidney stone

Dude. Don't scare them like that.

It was a hell of a lot better than Step 1, in my opinion.

I'd say if we're going with the child birth analogy, Step 1 was a 4th degree tear ending in rectal prolapse while Step 2 was a mere 2nd degree lac.

I am scared of audio questions. Hope it as you say it is.

I am going to quickly listen to them on youtube. MR, MS, AS, AR, PDA...anything else? VSD and ASD? Anything else?

I am scared of audio questions. Hope it as you say it is.

I am going to quickly listen to them on youtube. MR, MS, AS, AR, PDA...anything else? VSD and ASD? Anything else?

I would spend that time doing something high yield instead. I will echo the statements of other posters in that you can pretty much answer the question based on the stem. I took the test last Thursday and there were 4-6 questions with audio, and each of them could be answered without the audio. Even if you need the audio, it is less of diagnosing the sound and more of which intercostal space the sound is loudest. Good luck, it's not that bad, but it is long so hang in there. :thumbup:

I would spend that time doing something high yield instead. I will echo the statements of other posters in that you can pretty much answer the question based on the stem. I took the test last Thursday and there were 4-6 questions with audio, and each of them could be answered without the audio. Even if you need the audio, it is less of diagnosing the sound and more of which intercostal space the sound is loudest. Good luck, it's not that bad, but it is long so hang in there. :thumbup:

Thanks for your comment.

I took the test last week, and just want to let everyone know that the advice is solid. There were only like four audio questions, and three out of four were pretty easy and could be answered from the stems (if I recall correctly). I remember how on at least two of them I felt like I wasted time even putting on the headphones to listen to them since I already knew the answer.

And you're right about the intercostal space thing. That's right on.

There was one audio question that was weird (don't remember what it was)--but one question never killed anyone.

:DAudio questions are all give away marks, easy to gain if u read the the question stem carefully....