Step 2 CK required for IMG to be ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

goldengate

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Now that all the rank lists are in SF...I wonder, what is the chance that a program would rank an IMG who has not passed Step 2 CK yet? I know technically I'm allowed to match in a program w/o the exam, unlike in the NRMP where I am disqualified. But would a program in their right mind take a chance on such a candidate? Of the 4 places I interviewed at, only 1 made an issue about it, and I assume I was not ranked there. But the other 3? I remain hopeful that I was ranked so I still have a chance. And yes, I will pass Step 2 CK in the next few months, God willing.
 
goldengate said:
Now that all the rank lists are in SF...I wonder, what is the chance that a program would rank an IMG who has not passed Step 2 CK yet? I know technically I'm allowed to match in a program w/o the exam, unlike in the NRMP where I am disqualified. But would a program in their right mind take a chance on such a candidate? Of the 4 places I interviewed at, only 1 made an issue about it, and I assume I was not ranked there. But the other 3? I remain hopeful that I was ranked so I still have a chance. And yes, I will pass Step 2 CK in the next few months, God willing.


I think it depends on the program as you point out. It seems like most programs seemed to require that you have taken Step 2 if you are an IMG. Check the program's website for more info.
 
The answer to my question is yes, yes, yes...ten thousand times, yes. 😡