Step 2 CK required for IMG to be ranked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldengate

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that all the rank lists are in SF...I wonder, what is the chance that a program would rank an IMG who has not passed Step 2 CK yet? I know technically I'm allowed to match in a program w/o the exam, unlike in the NRMP where I am disqualified. But would a program in their right mind take a chance on such a candidate? Of the 4 places I interviewed at, only 1 made an issue about it, and I assume I was not ranked there. But the other 3? I remain hopeful that I was ranked so I still have a chance. And yes, I will pass Step 2 CK in the next few months, God willing.

Members don't see this ad.

goldengate said:
Now that all the rank lists are in SF...I wonder, what is the chance that a program would rank an IMG who has not passed Step 2 CK yet? I know technically I'm allowed to match in a program w/o the exam, unlike in the NRMP where I am disqualified. But would a program in their right mind take a chance on such a candidate? Of the 4 places I interviewed at, only 1 made an issue about it, and I assume I was not ranked there. But the other 3? I remain hopeful that I was ranked so I still have a chance. And yes, I will pass Step 2 CK in the next few months, God willing.

I think it depends on the program as you point out. It seems like most programs seemed to require that you have taken Step 2 if you are an IMG. Check the program's website for more info.

The answer to my question is yes, yes, yes...ten thousand times, yes. :mad: