Step 2 CK resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDApplicant3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I know there probably isnt a single good step 2 review book, but what is the best/most useful combination of books? I am starting my last set of rotations, so I figured I would start reviewing. I know Uworld is very good, but what are the thoughts on other books?

Members don't see this ad.

You're right, there isn't a single best Step 2 book like how First Aid was clearly the single best Step 1 book. Step 2 stuff is too broad for a single source to be comprehensive, except for UWorld which is virtually as comprehensive as one can get with Step 2. That being said, there were a good # of questions on the actual thing that hinged on content not in UWorld. Just is what it is.

I'd say some combo of SUS2 or MTB (some say MTB2 for medicine, MTB3 for other stuff) +/- Secrets. I'd also say that Pestana is clutch for surgery, so if you used those during your clerkship review them once more, and if you never touched them before, I'd make time to get through them. But if you did well on shelf exams throughout the year, all you really need is UWorld.

If you've done well throughout third year and done well on the shelf tests all you need is UWorld.

I used UWorld, Step Up to Step 2 (pretty lacking, but it has a lot of the can't miss stuff in it - the bare bones basics, though), and a little bit of USMLE Secrets. UWorld is the best resource, IMO, but it seems all of the Step 2 resources are incomplete as compared with their Step 1 counterparts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used UWorld, Step Up to Step 2 (pretty lacking, but it has a lot of the can't miss stuff in it - the bare bones basics, though), and a little bit of USMLE Secrets. UWorld is the best resource, IMO, but it seems all of the Step 2 resources are incomplete as compared with their Step 1 counterparts.

I think it has to do with the nature of the exams. There's a fairly finite amount of information that can be covered on Step 1. It's definitive in nature, too.

Step 2CK is the first exam that we have "real doctor questions" including "next best step" and a clinically relevant knowledge of pathophysiology. There's quite a few judgement calls that could be argued in real life. It's an ambiguous test in some aspects.

I think it has to do with the nature of the exams. There's a fairly finite amount of information that can be covered on Step 1. It's definitive in nature, too.

Step 2CK is the first exam that we have "real doctor questions" including "next best step" and a clinically relevant knowledge of pathophysiology. There's quite a few judgement calls that could be argued in real life. It's an ambiguous test in some aspects.
I agree that the nature of the exam is part of the problem, but I felt like even some of the more "definitive" questions in Qbank didn't have great wrong answer explanations. Several questions would give the right answer and ignore that there were other answer choices. I felt like the Step 1 Qbank, which seems to be a bigger focus for the company and that is somewhat understandable, had much more complete explanations. I think the breadth of the Qbank was appropriate, but it lacked some depth.

But your point stands, there are a lot of judgement call questions where two answers would happen simultaneously on the floor, or both are perfectly reasonable in the real world.