step 2 ck results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rocco Reed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just wanted to know if anyone out there who took the exam from 8/27/2009 to 9/1/2009 has gotten their results yet?

Members don't see this ad.

From USMLE website..

"Starting on or around August 10, 2009, a transition period will begin in which the number of items in current forms of the Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) examination will change from 368 items to 352 items. Although the transition will occur quickly at many test centers, there may also be some locations where the changes take slightly longer to complete. The overall transition period will likely last approximately 6 weeks. The length of the examination day will remain unchanged. The decrease in the number of items per form will be accounted for in scoring the examination results, so that scores on new and old forms will be comparable. Because of these changes in timing, as well as modifications to the test item pool, there will be a delay in score reporting for most Step 2 CK examinations administered in the second half of August and September. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing from August 10 through late September will be Wednesday, October 7, 2009."

i know i saw this...but some peeps have gotten it back b4 october 7th...it usually takes 3 wednesdays after u take ur exam to get ur results....i heard its been taking 4 now...so just wanted to see if the people in the dates i mentioned got theirs back yet...

I took the exam Aug 13, I think I was one of the first people who took it in the new format (44qs) and I still haven't gotten my score. A friend of mine who took it on Aug 14 but the old format (46Qs) got his result three weeks later.

I'm stil waiting...:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting toooooooooooooooooooooo. On top of that, I'm now working with the world's most malignant fellow EVER. Help!
:scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

took new format exam aug 13 and still waiting. I expect next wednesday will be the day.

nothing yet, when does the email arrive? is it on wed or thu? afternoon, midnight?? I keep checking oasis but they have not updated, it's still the 29th for them??

just wanted to bump this thread. Please let those of us who's getting ready to take the exam know if the new test scoring seems to reflect the increase in difficulty or not.
I was hit by the change in step 1 format last year when I took it as well. Though I'm happy with my score but not quite sure if it had reflected the difficulty of the newer test or not...
Does anyone know how they make the scoring work fair when half of the students of our year (class of 2010) is applying with old format USMLE scores and half of us is applying with new format scores.

If I took my exam on Sept 25th, do you guys think I'll find out on Oct 7th as well, or should I assume that I would need to wait at least 3 weeks?

:bang: could be this wed, or just one more week, I think waiting is worse than dengue:barf:

That must hurt! :)bang:). God I hope it doesn't hurt as much when I HOPEFULLY get my score soooooooooooon. :eek: I don't test well. I don't test well. I don't test well. I don't test well. I'm freaking out here people. :scared::scared::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say yes for sure, according to USMLE site, October 7th.

I just took mine. Did anyone else feel they bumped it up a few notches? I felt prepared, but I'd say the majority of my questions were longer and more complicated than Uworld. I had a hard time staying on time.

just took it, and thought blocks 1-the first half of three were comparable in length/diff to uw... then it got weird and more diff. and those questions were long long long. :wow:

I just took mine. Did anyone else feel they bumped it up a few notches? I felt prepared, but I'd say the majority of my questions were longer and more complicated than Uworld. I had a hard time staying on time.

This is an understatement! The first 3-4 blocks I thought I was on pace for 250+, then the rest of the test happened...I'm just hoping it turned out okay in the end! I felt like UW had longer questions at times (like when they give you 30 million useless lab vaules, my test didnt do this) but not as many "what the hell???" type questions. Glad I'm not alone on this one.

My friend had EXACTLY the same experience, felt totally on in 1-4, then fairly lost in 5-8. Either I got a different version, or I didn't sleep so well... all in all still, it was easier than step 1, way more able to simply reason out a lot of the questions, whereas in step 1 if you could not remember the freakin enzyme or whatever little detail, you just had to guess. I didn't do much straight out guessing here.

my block 1 was impossible. IMPOSSIBLE. Seriously, I marked 30 questions! I was wondering what was going on! The rest was fair except one or two hard blocks in the afternoon (but nothing like the first). I didn't have many media questions - maybe 1 or 2 per block, sometimes none. They were all murmurs.

you know what it means when you go 'WTF?' for a huge chunk of the test?

it means you lost a crapload of points.

unless one is an amazing test taker and percise when it comes to guessing :smuggrin:

:scared: 2 more days . . ...

I took mine on August 26th and still no score. I felt that the test did have a bunch of "WTF" moments, and they definitely increased as the test went on. Most of all though, the questions were WAY longer than the ones I had seen on U-World....

Yeaaah baby!! got the score 9am central time, passed with a score I didn't even expect 202!!! it's a great score for a mother of 5 who only studied during the summer, I thank GOD ALLMIGHTY!!!!!
good luck ya'll

Yeaaah baby!! got the score 9am central time, passed with a score I didn't even expect 202!!! it's a great score for a mother of 5 who only studied during the summer, I thank GOD ALLMIGHTY!!!!!
good luck ya'll

Congrats on the pass.

i want my score.... wahhhhhhhh :scared:

one quick question guys. does the nbme email you with the score now? or do you log in and check on your own?

thanks

I took it 9/24 - no score yet...

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I took CK on Sept 19th and my score isn't up yet, so I called the NBME and they said that I wasn't in the initial group and that I'll get my score back next Wednesday or the one after that. Somebody needs to explain to the NBME that before Sept 19th is not considered "late September" to most people.

Last edited:
I took CK on Sept 19th and my score isn't up yet, so I called the NBME and they said that I wasn't in the initial group and that I'll get my score back next Wednesday or the one after that. Somebody needs to explain to the NBME that before Sept 19th is not considered "late September" to most people.
:laugh::mad::thumbup:

Grrr...

what exactly is the highest score you can get on step 2? they say most scores fall b/t 140 and 260...but then i think i saw somewhere the highest they report is 265...whats the deal?

Hey Guys - Need your advice,
My friend got his step 2 result today. He was really shocked with the result he got.

Step 1 (81) and Step II (79) USMLE two digit score. He was expecting his score between 90-95 in Step II. Any advice in such situation. He is international graduated and green card holder in US. He has research n clinical experience. Any chance for him to get into any residency (IM,FP) etc ?

Well he passed both. So, while me may never have a shot at Johns Hopkins he will likely be able to get an FM residency or psych, maybe an IM residency depending on how he interviews and the rest of his application. (all provided he didnt fail anything)

How many of you used "Step Up to Medicine" for Step 2 CK? I used it for the IM shelf but I thought it was overkill, already. Does anyone think Step Up is overkill for Step 2 CK as well?

Instatewaiter:- Thanks. Yes he passed both but lost hope that he would ever get interview calls at all. So with this you still have chance for interview. He will have 3 or 4 LOR's with some clinical experience. His medical school course score are good.

Instatewaiter:- Thanks. Yes he passed both but lost hope that he would ever get interview calls at all. So with this you still have chance for interview. He will have 3 or 4 LOR's with some clinical experience. His medical school course score are good.

Even after the scramble, family med has a ton of open spots left over. So your friend shouldnt have a hard time finding a family spot. For IM, again, it is not a very competitive field. He may have to expand where he looks but he should get interviews.

Somebody needs to explain to the NBME that before Sept 19th is not considered "late September" to most people.

So thats when the cutoff was? I was 5 days late apparently.

I completely agree with you, to me its mid-Sept (my logic: its in the "middle" 10 days of a 30 day month). I dont care that I have to wait another week or two, but they had me real nervous about getting my score back that morning!

An exact or more approximate date would be nice next time.