Step 2 CK scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HolyMoly

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning on taking my Step 2 in mid-September...will this allow enough time for my scores to reach and be evaluated with the rest of my applications for residency programs (i.e., when are apps first evaluated)? Or must I take it sooner so that it gets to be part of my application. I really want to do well with it and want it to count. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

September is a good time. Don't automatically submit your scores, and if you did as well as you hope then submit them.
Not only do you then get to screen how well you did, but you can also get your name to run across their desks one more time, associated with a good score.

Depends on how well Step 1 was. If they were ok or borderline, I'd try to take Step 2 around end of August. If they were solid, then take your time with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took mine at the middle of August because I needed a boost to my application. I got my score back the middle of September and did well. I know that this helped me.

hey guys, anyone think end of september is too late to get it in there to programs?

end of sept means it won't be to programs until the end of october. i think this is okay if your step one is good, meaning 220-ish i would guess. if not try to take it earlier. i didn't take step two until the very end of december. i wouldn't advise that (but it worked out okay for me as i matched where i wanted). earlier is better unless you need more time to study...you must do well on it...if that means delaying it then you should.

end of sept means it won't be to programs until the end of october. i think this is okay if your step one is good, meaning 220-ish i would guess. if not try to take it earlier. i didn't take step two until the very end of december. i wouldn't advise that (but it worked out okay for me as i matched where i wanted). earlier is better unless you need more time to study...you must do well on it...if that means delaying it then you should.

Yep, 220ish on Step 1 should be a cutoff. Anything less than that and I would suggest taking Step 2 a little earlier to be more competitive. If you are a Carib FMG or FMG, then also taking Step 2 early is a must.

Hey guys, to answer your question, I scored 219 on Step 1, just below our "cutoff"...what I need to know is whether my scores would help boost my application if I took the exam like the first week of September or possibly the 2nd week (~September 9-13?) Thanks so much all!!:)

Hey guys, to answer your question, I scored 219 on Step 1, just below our "cutoff"...what I need to know is whether my scores would help boost my application if I took the exam like the first week of September or possibly the 2nd week (~September 9-13?) Thanks so much all!!:)

Yes, it will help dearly. I think with your Step 1 scores, you should get some interviews. Same or better Step 2 scores will only help.

Unfortunately, I am in a similar dilemma. I got a 215 on my Step 1, which I was content with. I know this will be fine to simply match into anesthesia, but I realize I may not have as much of a choice for more competitive programs.

The problem is, Im right in that middle zone. Had I done 5-6 pts better, I would pretty much be told not to take it early. Had I done 5-6 pts worse, I would have been told to take it early. Right now, Im hearing equal numbers from both sides.

Ultimately, I scheduled my step II for Aug 1. I figure having ended the yr. with Internal Med, I should be ok for step 2. I just have that fear looming behind me, in case I do worse...

you must do as well or better on step two...which you should do because, in mho, its easier. i studied way less for step two and still scored better. take the nmbe practice tests and delay your step two if you aren't predicted to do as well or better as they were pretty accurate for me and others i have talked to.
i don't know if the data is out for this year or not but last year the average usmle for people matching in anesthesiology was in the low 220s. from what i heard i don't think this year will be any lower but who knows. my program told us we were on average the strongest class they had matched thus far. i don't think that is necessarily a reflection of my program, i think it is a reflection of anesthesiology in general, but who knows.
you will match with <220 but having as many options as possible is priceless. top programs can be in your reach with a jump up in step two scores....so study hard. my best friend in med school always made me feel like the stupid one for studying and stressing about the boards while she slacked and was skating by....but i am way happier with where i matched and the direction my career is going.
... it pays off in the long run, i promise.
... and anesthesiology deserves your A game anyways.
best of luck