Step 2 CK Score and Application date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanfanal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

So I just got my step 2 CK score back. I got 226, not happy with it as I was expecting at least 230. My step 1 was score was 226 as well. I really don;t know how to interpret this. Can anyone advise? Other stats: top 3rd decile of class, year of neuroscience research with publication pending. Decent Canadian and British LORs.

My second question is that I'm a bit stuck for CS availability. Do you think that I need to be ECFMG certified as of September or can I go ahead and apply, get step 2 CS done in early September and be certified in November? Basically, does not being ECFMG certified preclude me me from applying?

I appreciate any advise.

Members don't see this ad.

it does not preclude you from applying but it does SIGNIFICANTLY disadvantage you. In terms of CS availability you need to got as soon as possible. that means stalking the website for cancellations and jumping on the first available date. I literally found an opening on a thursday, booked my flights on a friday and took the exam on a monday. there are always cancellations you just need to find one and jump on it.

Okay. I think I'll still apply this September and hope that I get something.

What do you think about my CK score?

Hi There,

So I just got my step 2 CK score back. I got 226, not happy with it as I was expecting at least 230. My step 1 was score was 226 as well. I really don;t know how to interpret this. Can anyone advise? Other stats: top 3rd decile of class, year of neuroscience research with publication pending. Decent Canadian and British LORs.

My second question is that I'm a bit stuck for CS availability. Do you think that I need to be ECFMG certified as of September or can I go ahead and apply, get step 2 CS done in early September and be certified in November? Basically, does not being ECFMG certified preclude me me from applying?

I appreciate any advise.
Did u match
..i have 230 in ck after 253 in step 1 and not a single interview invite..img here...please reply I am getting frustrated with every passing day

Members don't see this ad :)
Did u match
..i have 230 in ck after 253 in step 1 and not a single interview invite..img here...please reply I am getting frustrated with every passing day

Why did you drop so much after a killer step 1?

Why did you drop so much after a killer step 1?

They're kind of different tests tbh. One tests you on whether you understand basic sciences and pathology. The other on whether you know and understand algorithms of how to address patient pathology.

Reactions: 1 users
They're kind of different tests tbh. One tests you on whether you understand basic sciences and pathology. The other on whether you know and understand algorithms of how to address patient pathology.

100% agree with this. I went up 32pts(210/242). Several people have said something to the effect of "so, you finally started studying?" Um, no. I did not just start studying. Two very different tests. If I took Step 1 today I doubt I could pass it. Step2 made sense to me. Even though I didn't finish most blocks (but only 2-4 questions short each time), I left the test feeling pretty good about it. I left step1 in tears and cried for most of the drive home. While most people score close-10 pts higher it's not that way for everyone.

100% agree with this. I went up 32pts(210/242). Several people have said something to the effect of "so, you finally started studying?" Um, no. I did not just start studying. Two very different tests. If I took Step 1 today I doubt I could pass it. Step2 made sense to me. Even though I didn't finish most blocks (but only 2-4 questions short each time), I left the test feeling pretty good about it. I left step1 in tears and cried for most of the drive home. While most people score close-10 pts higher it's not that way for everyone.

I scored in the 230s on step 1 and I don't believe for a second that I could pass it even 4 months out. It's honestly a test that requires you to literally dedicate your entire essence and being into to succeed in. The amount of knowledge on it is very simply too far beyond what any reasonable human can contain for longer than a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yet we still hear "come on, this is simple. Step 1 material" during pimping. Meanwhile I'm thinking please just ask me what to do next ;).