Step 2 CK Score Decrease From Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anestheticman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I get a 200 on Step 2 CK and I had a 215 on Step 1, am I doomed?

I only have 2 more weeks and I'm not envisioning any inspiration...

Members don't see this ad.

you mean step two is two weeks away? did you take the practice tests for $45 at the nmbe site...i ended up doing one point different on the real thing so i think it is a good estimate. take one of those tests and if you do worse than your step two don't take it...delay it for later. how many interviews are you up to?

I have plenty of interviews, my school requires me to take Step 2 before the end of December so I'm not sure I would have time later to do any better...

would it be better to wait until the end of December either way (i.e. without any significant amount of study time like I have now)??

in other words, does a 200 at the end of October mean anything different from a 200 at the end of December?

Members don't see this ad :)
oh i didn't know there was a step two deadline at some schools. you could not release the scores. i don't see a difference between 200 in dec or oct. sorry i can't be more help.

Yeah, I set on ERAS to not release the scores... so, my best bet is to just get it over with probably...

when would I need to release my score though? does that depend on the program?

My understanding is the following;

First of all you don't want to get a 200 on step 2 at any costs. Secondly, schools assume that you will do 5-10 points higher on step 2 than 1. If not, you will have to do some explaining come interview time. Step 2 is most important for GAS. Decent step 1 scores will get you the interview but decent step 2 scores will get you the position. It makes it easier for everyone if you interview and know your step 2 score.

My question is do you want to spend your money interviewing at higher thought of programs when they aren't going to rank you high if you get a low step 2 score?

Either way best of luck!

I'm very very confused here...

is the Step 2 score required for an applicant to be ranked?

are my interview offers with my Step 1 score based on the assumption that I will go up 10 points on Step 2?? That is the first I have heard of that...

Can anyone help me out here, what should I do?

That's the first time I've heard that. I don't believe it either, until I hear a PD tell me this is true. Don't for one second believe that all programs use one universal method for applicant screening and ranking. Again, take what you hear for what's it's worth.

are my interview offers with my Step 1 score based on the assumption that I will go up 10 points on Step 2?? That is the first I have heard of that...

i've heard going down on Step 2 doesn't help you (obviously) but that many programs just want to see that you passed. if you go down 20 points it may be in your best interest to withhold you score, but i don't know for how long. again, this is second hand info but it seems obvious that there's not a single standard.

I was told by our school that without a Step 2 score you won't get matched. I was told by a few transitional programs that they wouldn't even consider my application until all documents were uploaded including Step 2 CK and CS. I do have interviews with transitional programs and they don't have my Step 2 CS score yet.

I looked on the ERAS website and couldn't find any declaration of such. If anyone has proof either way I would love to see it.

I hope you don't have to take Step 2 CS for transitional years to consider you! I took my CK early but am waiting to take CS for when I have nothing to do from beginning of March until internship starts :)

I have interviews at MANY transitionals and prelim medicine spots with no Step 2 CS or CK....

still confused... but just tryin' to study... seems like there is no answer to this question...

:)

PD at my school said that Step 1 is more important than Step 2 because it shows foundation of basic science knowledge. Regarding step 2, she said "we can teach you the clinical stuff." And also, many applicants don't have step 2 when offering interviews. Just one program's 2 cents.