Step 2 CK study resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I could try to comb this site looking for relevent posts, but since I have ZERO time, I thought I would just ask: What are some good books to use for Step 2 CK? After my Step 1 fiasco, I thought I would start studying concurrently with rotations. I heard that Crush Step 2 was good, but the reviews on Amazon are mixed (and the bad reviews are REALLY bad)! Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I combed this site earlier this year before taking the test in December '04. What I came up with and read is below, and I feel that I did just fine on the Step IICK:

Crush the Boards Step 2 (more of outline/paragraph format)
Step 2 Secrets (Crush in Q & A format more or less)
Boards and Wards
Advanced Life Support for Step 2 (easy quick read)
Kaplan QBank
NMS Step 2 Question Book

I would say for heads up during the rotations that Boards and Wards/Crush would be great. I remember reading Boards and Wards as last reviews before clerkship shelfs, and I found it to be helpful for condensing down what really is important...

Hope this helps! :D
Stax

1. boards and wards
2. kaplan q-bank (start a few weeks out from the test date)
3. first aid for step 2

if you read during your rotations, and learn about your patients, as well as cover the above material, you should be in good shape for step 2CK.

i think crush the boards is a waste of money...it was much more superficial than the other sources. good info, but not deep enough (ie covered many of the topics, but not a lot of the "what would you do next" type info was covered). i had it, looked at it, then when i started doing practice q's i saw that it really was not that helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boards and Wards, Secrets, MKSAP2, that's about it. I figure after 6 NBME shelf test who needs more questions?

good luck

I just used Crush Step 2 and Kaplan Qbook. I ended up doing just fine.

I knew some friends who used Boards and Wards and read this book carefully while on their 3rd year rotations. This book is much more detailed and complete than Crush Step 2 so I hear. If you comb through this book during M3 year, then you should have no problems just flipping through the book when it comes to reviewing for step 2.

Agree with Milo.
You can't go wrong with Crush and Kaplan questions.

I used crush, Q-bank and a few sections from first aid. Study for about 5-7 days and you will do fine. I think a good indicator of how well you wil do is the shelf exams (do not worry, Step II is less detailed, but more intergrated)

I used ONLY usmleworld qbank, and looked up topics as they came up in my questions. My MSIV attention span prevented me from actually reading a text cover to cover. Got a GREAT score. good luck

How much time did you guys set aside for studying? I am sure it is less than the month or so we spent for Step 1, but I am unsure of how much time to set aside for this one.

-RIP

RipVanWinkle said:
How much time did you guys set aside for studying? I am sure it is less than the month or so we spent for Step 1, but I am unsure of how much time to set aside for this one.

-RIP

Unless you're trying to blow the test away (250's and up), you can spend 3-5 days studying.

if you read during rotations, 2 weeks prep is plenty. i think it was enough time to get very comfortable with the material, yet not so much that i got bored and peak early.

Agree with above... I cut a vacation in Florida short, in order to get back and study - bad choice. Gave myself 19days, and was just about outa my mind by the end. My logic was, taking the exam in on March 1 of my 4th year, after a long/lazy year IV, I needed the extra time. Truth - the exam is pretty basic, and you could pass with a week of review. Beyond a week and you are getting bigger scores. Good luck!