Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2001
Limbo
www.xocandles.com
Status
Attending Physician
I know that I could try to comb this site looking for relevent posts, but since I have ZERO time, I thought I would just ask: What are some good books to use for Step 2 CK? After my Step 1 fiasco, I thought I would start studying concurrently with rotations. I heard that Crush Step 2 was good, but the reviews on Amazon are mixed (and the bad reviews are REALLY bad)! Any thoughts?

Stax

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2003
Visit site
Status
I combed this site earlier this year before taking the test in December '04. What I came up with and read is below, and I feel that I did just fine on the Step IICK:

Crush the Boards Step 2 (more of outline/paragraph format)
Step 2 Secrets (Crush in Q & A format more or less)
Boards and Wards
Advanced Life Support for Step 2 (easy quick read)
Kaplan QBank
NMS Step 2 Question Book

I would say for heads up during the rotations that Boards and Wards/Crush would be great. I remember reading Boards and Wards as last reviews before clerkship shelfs, and I found it to be helpful for condensing down what really is important...

Hope this helps! :D
Stax

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
sunny CA
Visit site
Status
1. boards and wards
2. kaplan q-bank (start a few weeks out from the test date)
3. first aid for step 2

if you read during your rotations, and learn about your patients, as well as cover the above material, you should be in good shape for step 2CK.

i think crush the boards is a waste of money...it was much more superficial than the other sources. good info, but not deep enough (ie covered many of the topics, but not a lot of the "what would you do next" type info was covered). i had it, looked at it, then when i started doing practice q's i saw that it really was not that helpful.

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Boards and Wards, Secrets, MKSAP2, that's about it. I figure after 6 NBME shelf test who needs more questions?

good luck

b&ierstiefel

10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
I just used Crush Step 2 and Kaplan Qbook. I ended up doing just fine.

I knew some friends who used Boards and Wards and read this book carefully while on their 3rd year rotations. This book is much more detailed and complete than Crush Step 2 so I hear. If you comb through this book during M3 year, then you should have no problems just flipping through the book when it comes to reviewing for step 2.

Santiago

Catheter Jockey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2003
Neverland
Visit site
Status
Agree with Milo.
You can't go wrong with Crush and Kaplan questions.

ORS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
Status
I used crush, Q-bank and a few sections from first aid. Study for about 5-7 days and you will do fine. I think a good indicator of how well you wil do is the shelf exams (do not worry, Step II is less detailed, but more intergrated)

KerleyB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Status
I used ONLY usmleworld qbank, and looked up topics as they came up in my questions. My MSIV attention span prevented me from actually reading a text cover to cover. Got a GREAT score. good luck

RipVanWinkle

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
Status
How much time did you guys set aside for studying? I am sure it is less than the month or so we spent for Step 1, but I am unsure of how much time to set aside for this one.

-RIP

Hercules

Son of Zeus
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2000
Mobile, AL
Status
Attending Physician
RipVanWinkle said:
How much time did you guys set aside for studying? I am sure it is less than the month or so we spent for Step 1, but I am unsure of how much time to set aside for this one.

-RIP
Unless you're trying to blow the test away (250's and up), you can spend 3-5 days studying.

neilc

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2001
sunny CA
Visit site
Status
if you read during rotations, 2 weeks prep is plenty. i think it was enough time to get very comfortable with the material, yet not so much that i got bored and peak early.

KerleyB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Status
Agree with above... I cut a vacation in Florida short, in order to get back and study - bad choice. Gave myself 19days, and was just about outa my mind by the end. My logic was, taking the exam in on March 1 of my 4th year, after a long/lazy year IV, I needed the extra time. Truth - the exam is pretty basic, and you could pass with a week of review. Beyond a week and you are getting bigger scores. Good luck!