Step 2 CK & The Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willamette

Good with a bo-staff
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Been away a long time...

Anyway, I was supposed to be taking my Step 2 CK exam tomorrow, but the Prometric site is experiencing "technical difficulties" and I was shafted out of my test date just this evening.

Between going home for the holidays, and a half-dozen interviews during the first two weeks of January, it's looking like a mid-to-late January, or even an early February test date for me now.

My question: Does anyone know how this will affect my matching into EM? If I don't have a passing score (tomorrow was to be my FIRST attempt) by the time rank order lists are due, am I likely to drop in the rankings?

Willamette

Members don't see this ad.

southerndoc said:
Most programs, including my own, do not require Step 2 scores. We only require Step 1.

You must pass Step 2 before graduation at most medical schools. Most residencies also require you pass Step 2 (CS & CK) before you start residency.

That's sorta what I expected. Thanks southerndoc!

Willamette

Members don't see this ad :)
southerndoc said:
Most programs, including my own, do not require Step 2 scores. We only require Step 1.

You must pass Step 2 before graduation at most medical schools. Most residencies also require you pass Step 2 (CS & CK) before you start residency.

Just to clarify (because I'm in the same boat), if a program does not have a step 2-CK when they rank a candidate, it shouldn't affect where that candidate is ranked (provided they simply pass step 2 before they start)? I assume that this only applies if their step I was pretty solid.

Back34 said:
Just to clarify (because I'm in the same boat), if a program does not have a step 2-CK when they rank a candidate, it shouldn't affect where that candidate is ranked (provided they simply pass step 2 before they start)? I assume that this only applies if their step I was pretty solid.
If you submit your scores, then yes, it could be used for or against you.

Just because a program doesn't require you to submit Step 2 scores doesn't mean they won't use them to evaluate you if you release the scores to the program(s).

We only require 3 letters of recommendation. If you submit a 4th, we use that recommendation -- good or bad. The same is true of Step 2 scores.

Back34 said:

I think it might affect you. If I had two otherwise essentially identical candidates, one provided a very good CK score and the other did not complete/release the scores, which should I rank higher?

BKN said:
I think it might affect you. If I had two otherwise essentially identical candidates, one provided a very good CK score and the other did not complete/release the scores, which should I rank higher?

Thanks for the advice. I confess I don't know a great deal about the process. In your opinion, what's the latest I can take the exam so the scores will be available to the programs to rank me. February 22 is the rank order list certification deadline. Does the 6 week turnaround time apply to step II, as it did step I?

Back34 said:
Thanks for the advice. I confess I don't know a great deal about the process. In your opinion, what's the latest I can take the exam so the scores will be available to the programs to rank me. February 22 is the rank order list certification deadline. Does the 6 week turnaround time apply to step II, as it did step I?

Never mind. I just found out that step II must be taken by the second week in January to be available for programs by the time rank lists are due.

That being said, is there anybody else out there who won't be taking step II before they're ranked/knows of anybody who did so. Sorry to keep harping on this, but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until reading this post. Damn, I need a beer!

Back34 said:
Never mind. I just found out that step II must be taken by the second week in January to be available for programs by the time rank lists are due.

That being said, is there anybody else out there who won't be taking step II before they're ranked/knows of anybody who did so. Sorry to keep harping on this, but I didn't think it would be that big of a deal until reading this post. Damn, I need a beer!

Some schools require the part 2 exams to graduate, but don't requiree passage. Lots of people don't have their scores at rank, often on advice of dean. The thinking seems to be get interviews out of the way. That's gonna change next year as I and others require CS and CK to rank.