Step 2 CK timing for c/o 2023?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear the community's thoughts on this subject. Before the transition of Step 1 to pass/fail, applicants with strong Step 1 scores would wait to take Step 2 until late. Now, the class of 2023 will have a mixed bag of pass/fail and numeric Step 1 scores. For applicants in the class of 2023 with strong Step 1 scores, should we plan to take Step 2 early? Or does the old advice of wait and not stress about the Step 2 score still hold true?

Members don't see this ad.

From one PD from a top 10 program, I heard that step scores will be at the bottom of the hierarchy of rating students, with emphasis on research, clinical grades, letters of recommendation, personal statement being higher than step scores. Even clinical grades being lower these days because apparently some schools have clinical grades as P/F due to COVID(?) I would think if you have a strong step 1, don’t worry about step 2, as scores in general will be de-emphasized anyway, why take the risk. But n=1 so would like to hear others’ opinions.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
If you have a strong step 1, I would wait for step 2 (not take it until after apps)
If you are pass/fail for step 1, I would try to do very well on step 2

In the end, there will always be some standardized way to weed out the tons of applications programs get. There's no faster way (and arguably a fairer way) than step scores (whether step 1 or in the future step 2). One could argue the rest of your application is incredibly subjective other than maybe research (clinical grades vary by school, LORs are inherently subjective, etc.). The pedigree of your medical school will probably also be weighed more than ever now. And ophthalmology (for a specialty that's usually one of the most competitive) had probably the most competitive year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing your perspectives, much appreciated!

Take everything you hear here with a grain of salt. All programs are different in what they value and rank. Some top programs may not rank Step 1 as much but that's because many applicants to these programs are basically set up by their home institution attendings. If you don't have connections as an applicant, your step score won't matter bc you won't have the right letter of recs or come from the usual pool of places they pick from anyway.

With Step 1 being phased out, I guarantee you many programs will be using Step 2 as one of their qualifications for interviewing. I can tell you for sure our program is at least considering it, and I sit on the committee that screens applications. In your case, if you have a really strong Step 1, it's ok to delay it (because the only direction you really have to go is down unfortunately), but if you performed averagely, you need to take it. Some programs may even want to see both tests taken.

My advice is if you want to maximize your chances, take Step 2 early and do well if you are confident, else hold off. With a strong Step 1 score you should be fine but you may be ranked slightly lower by programs who want to see both scores taken. That said, the former is better than a 20-30 pt drop in your Step 2 score compared to Step 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Take everything you hear here with a grain of salt. All programs are different in what they value and rank. Some top programs may not rank Step 1 as much but that's because many applicants to these programs are basically set up by their home institution attendings. If you don't have connections as an applicant, your step score won't matter bc you won't have the right letter of recs or come from the usual pool of places they pick from anyway.

With Step 1 being phased out, I guarantee you many programs will be using Step 2 as one of their qualifications for interviewing. I can tell you for sure our program is at least considering it, and I sit on the committee that screens applications. In your case, if you have a really strong Step 1, it's ok to delay it (because the only direction you really have to go is down unfortunately), but if you performed averagely, you need to take it. Some programs may even want to see both tests taken.

My advice is if you want to maximize your chances, take Step 2 early and do well if you are confident, else hold off. With a strong Step 1 score you should be fine but you may be ranked slightly lower by programs who want to see both scores taken. That said, the former is better than a 20-30 pt drop in your Step 2 score compared to Step 1.
For applicants with a high Step 1, would you just want to take Step 2CK before rank lists, or before interviews? Ie. do you think having a Step 2CK will influence interviews?

For applicants with a high Step 1, would you just want to take Step 2CK before rank lists, or before interviews? Ie. do you think having a Step 2CK will influence interviews?
If you think you won’t do too well or not as well, wait. If you think you can do decently, it wouldn’t hurt. Step 1 is the bigger gatekeeper.