Step 2 CK timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this cycle and planning to take Step 2 in the next few months, but unsure of exactly when. How do I decide when to take it with respect to getting interview offers?

If I submit my application and it's downloaded in September without the Step 2 score, would the programs that initially hadn't decided to offer me an interview take another look at me upon getting my Step 2 results in October? Or is it not worth the risk? My step 1 score is within range for the specialty, but not spectacular.

Members don't see this ad.

Decisions you need to make:
1) You've said your step 1 within range for your specialty but not spectacular. Are you banking on Step 2 helping you?
2) Do you want an out so you don't have to report it (incase you didn't do as well as you wanted)?
3) How have you been doing on shelf exams this year?

If you are worried about Step 2 hurting you, take it so you will get your score AFTER September 15th. You will then have the option to tell people what you got on it, or hold the information until after interview season.

However, if you have been doing well on your shelves during the year, you have a high probability of doing well on Step 2. I don't know what you're interested in or what you got on Step I, but if you consistently got (let's say) above 80 on the shelf exams and have a Step I < 230-240, I would imagine you would likely see a boost (maybe not the 10 points that is expected) in your step 2 score.

Decisions you need to make:
1) You've said your step 1 within range for your specialty but not spectacular. Are you banking on Step 2 helping you?
2) Do you want an out so you don't have to report it (incase you didn't do as well as you wanted)?
3) How have you been doing on shelf exams this year?

If you are worried about Step 2 hurting you, take it so you will get your score AFTER September 15th. You will then have the option to tell people what you got on it, or hold the information until after interview season.

However, if you have been doing well on your shelves during the year, you have a high probability of doing well on Step 2. I don't know what you're interested in or what you got on Step I, but if you consistently got (let's say) above 80 on the shelf exams and have a Step I < 230-240, I would imagine you would likely see a boost (maybe not the 10 points that is expected) in your step 2 score.

1) Yes, the reason I'm taking it soon is to help my application.
2) Not really. I want to do really well. I'm concerned about getting a score similar to Step 1, which wouldn't necessarily hurt me, but wouldn't help me either.
3) Above average on most of them, honored one, below average but passing on another.

Really, the question is: is it worth delaying taking Step 2 in the hopes of getting a better score if it will result in the score being reported after the initial ERAS download by programs? Would they actually go back to my file and offer me an interview if they hadn't done so before?

Depends on your specialty choice. Hard to say for sure without consulting aPD. If you're not concerned about giving yourself an out in terms of doing poorly on the exam, I would take it and have the score back before Sept. 15th just to be safe.