Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycatcher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey - I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and it seems like there are a lot of helpful members so I thought I'd put my issues out there.

I am a rising fourth year student applying to OB programs for the 2008-2009 match. I decided to take a year off after third year and am currently doing clinical research on postpartum depression. I did very well during my third year clerkships and on the shelf exams.

I didn't do great on Step 1 (<200) so I had banked on rocking Step 2. Alas - I took it this past November and I failed. :( I couldn't believe it and thought my hopes of matching to a solid OB program were dashed. But I got lots of guidance from various advisors, including the chair at my school, and I rallied and am studying to take it again in April. I pinpointed my weakness as the computer-based format as well as some areas of knowledge so I have a very different study strategy from the first attempt.

Thoughts on how this will impact my candidacy for OB programs? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice would be to apply wisely - I don't know your chances of getting in at say a top academic residency. Then again who knows, you've got some applicable research experience that they may like and other parts of your application aside from your Step scores may rock.

Don't give up, apply broadly, seek very good LORs, address your scores in your personal statement (ie the computer based issue) especially if they don't correlate with your med school grades - and hope for the best! good luck.

I don't think your situation rules out a career in ob/gyn. Vegetables' advice about addressing it in your personal statement is key. Cast a wide net with your applications - a friend failed step 1 the first time and got a ton of interviews without a step 2 score, so I don't think it will mean you won't get in somewhere. But, be sure to apply to enough programs. Your research will help you, so will your grades.

Good luck! :luck: