Step 2 COMLEX/USMLE question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lunallena

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all:

i'm a 3rd yr DO student. Although i didn't take USMLE step 1 (just comlex), i was thinking of taking both USMLE and COMLEX step 2. I was wondering if i should take both the written and clinical USMLE step 2 (CK/CS) or just the written part. My plan is to apply to a DO residency in my area, but one of my preceptors said it's always a good idea to take both step 2's and that COMLEX step 2 is more difficult anyway.

Thank you all for your help!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all:

i'm a 3rd yr DO student. Although i didn't take USMLE step 1 (just comlex), i was thinking of taking both USMLE and COMLEX step 2. I was wondering if i should take both the written and clinical USMLE step 2 (CK/CS) or just the written part. My plan is to apply to a DO residency in my area, but one of my preceptors said it's always a good idea to take both step 2's and that COMLEX step 2 is more difficult anyway.

Thank you all for your help!!!!!!!

uuuuuuh, i would stop listening to your preceptor....

The only reason I would classify COMLEX step 2 as more difficult is d/t the extreme vagueness & "Guess what we are thinking" type Qs that NBOME is known for.

If you plan on a DO residency then there's no point in taking USMLE; and even if you were to take it I would recommend step 1 more than step 2, since most if not all residencies offer you a spot before step 2 results are even in.

But if you do decide to take USMLE step 2 then just take the CK part since the CS part supposedly just measures your ability to talk to a patient as if they were an actual human being & write an adequate SOAP notes, both of which are pretty easy to do if you did medical school in USA.