step 2 CS before CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgical FMG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if it is possible to do step 2cs before step2ck. is it allowed? if so, is it recommended?

Members don't see this ad.

You can definitely take CS before CK, and I don't think it matters which order you take them in because they're such different exams. I did take CK first, but it was mostly just a timing issue. I don't think it matters that you're an international student, as a FMG from Peru was in my CS session and he hadn't taken CK or even Step 1 yet. I would just get CS done whenever traveling to a testing site is convenient for you. Good luck

hi i was just wondering if it is possible to do step 2cs before step2ck. is it allowed? if so, is it recommended?

Sure, it's allowed. That's what I did.

I usually recommend getting it over as soon as possible, but that's my own personal bias. If you're not a native English speaker, and are unaccustomed to these types of videotaped mock-clinic type encounters, then you might want to wait until you're more familiar with what the test examiners are looking for.

I've done my CS two years before both Step1 and Step 2 CK :eek:.... (Not because of any repeats, but because I was not decided on doing a residency in the US, and I was in the US at the time and decided to do it any way back then).

Members don't see this ad :)
i took cs b4 ck....i say go 4 it. it may even give u a little confidence when as you tackle ur next exam....

I took CS a few months ago and haven't taken CK yet. My reasoning was that CS is super hard to schedule and requires a decent amount of logistical planning beforehand (traveling, hotels, time off from rotations) that it just made more sense for me to get it out of the way early. Also, it takes 3 months or so to get a score, and then it's really hard to reschedule in time if you fail. Admittedly, failing is unlikely, but it does happen. CK requires more actual studying, so I didn't want to just jump in and take that one asap.

Most people probably do CS first, because the other requires more study time. The best prep for CS is a rotation/elective in family med, clinical med or ED, because you really need the opportunity to see lots of patients in brief 15 minute encounters. The next most important thing is to read FA for CS cover to cover. Once you've done that, you are more or less ready. Much of the points on CS seem to come from niceties rather than actual medical knowledge -- did you introduce yourself, ask before untying the gown, drape the patient, wash your hands, act empathatetic -- so it's not like studying for CK is going to enhance your abilities in CS.

I def took CS before CK (almost 4 months before actually), but most of my classmates are taking CK first. It doesnt matter either way.

believe it or not, i took it before I took any other steps!!!! Step 2 CS was the first exam I took!!!

Already had scheduled the date and all and was at that time still waiting to see if I passed my final year university exams! (went to a foreign med school)

soooo yeah...do it!!! i dont know how australia is, but a lot of foreign countries really emphasize your clinical skills so for me, everything was fresh in my mind. didn't really study much.....passed!! i say do it.... :D

They r completely different tests, so do whatever is more convenient. I took CK earlier b/c I wanted to have my M3 material fresh in my mind to get the highest score. CS, on the other hand, is Pass/Fail, so I scheduled it in the Fall after I applied to ERAS that way I wouldn't be worrying about this silly test when I was worrying about ERAS apps, but b4 interviews started.