Step 2 CS experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I took Step 2 CS in Chicago this week and will share my experience.

In terms of reviewing, I took Step 2 CK a few weeks ago so a lot of that info was still in my head. I read First Aid for Step 2 CS during the week before the exam. The book is excellent for reviewing and I strongly recommend it. I would say the majority of what I saw on test day was covered well in the review book.

The test consisted of 12 stations. 5 patients and then a 30 min. break with lunch provided, 4 patients and a 15 min break, then 3 patients. The first nine patients were easy. They covered simple problems and the history and physical exam provided a lot of info to come up with a good differential. The last 3 patients that I had were all very difficult cases with a vague complaint and no significant history to allow a good differential. I spent so much time asking questions that I had very little time for the exam and counseling. On top of that, because the symptom was vague, I really didnt even know which specific physical exam manuevers were appropriate. Apparently only 10 patients are graded so I am hoping that the two that were not graded were among the final two.

I wore gloves with all patients, because I had a healing burn wound on my finger. They tell you in the orientation that if you have visible cuts or wounds on your hands to wear gloves.

Most of the SP's were really good, although there were a few that seemed a bit inexperienced. For example, there was one SP whose challenge questions was "Do you think I have [disease X]?" She asked me this early in the encounter. But then at the end of the encounter I asked if she had any questions, and she said "Did I already ask you if you thought I had [disease X]?" As she finished the question the announcement for the end of the encounter sounded so I didnt get to reanswer the question or at least tell her that she already asked it. So I hope she remembers and I get credit for the answer. I dont even know who was grading us, the SP or the people behind the mirrored glass?

I was nervous when I showed up to the exam but I found myself sitting in the registration room thinking that statistically, of the 24 people here, 3 or 4 should fail. So I tried to find the 3 or 4 people more likely to fail than I. I immediately found the person wearing white sneakers and short sleeve polo shirt without a tie. Then I found the person that forgot a white coat and stethoscope. During the lunch break, I found the annoying and obnoxius guy talking loudly and candidly about some of his memorable pelvic exams he performed during his ob/gyn rotation and how all pregnant women have attitudes. Every once in a while, I would hear a person walk into the exam room and call the patient by their first name. So I figured there were enough people in the room to make the likelihood of me psssing pretty good.

So the moral of my story...the test is challenging but you will be well served by taking the time to go through First Aid, especially the "challenging question" sections and the 27 cases in the last half of the book.

Members don't see this ad.

Took the test 7/28 and already got my result. I passed. My school received my score in less than 4 weeks.

And about that "trick" that everyone talks about. Earlier in the week, I tried the trick of trying to register for step 2 cs. The NBME website allowed me to register, which has been rumored to indicate that you failed. Today I got my passing result. So it must not work 100% of the time.

Where is my score? I took CS in chicago July 22....this is wierd

Each student probably has a different grader of the notes. I am sure some are quicker than others. Also, I have not received the result in the mail, but it was reported to my school. Did you check the NBME website to see if your score was reported to your school? Sign in to the NBME page and click on "exam status" to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
scholes said:
Took the test 7/28 and already got my result. I passed. My school received my score in less than 4 weeks.

And about that "trick" that everyone talks about. Earlier in the week, I tried the trick of trying to register for step 2 cs. The NBME website allowed me to register, which has been rumored to indicate that you failed. Today I got my passing result. So it must not work 100% of the time.
good point. trick didn't work for me either! I thought it just worked for FMGs, but I tried it anyways. Did NOT help alleviate my stress levels, though..... :oops:

Mine still hasn't been reported either Mossjoh, and I took it at the end of July, in Atlanta. From what I've heard the reporting time seems to vary quite a bit, from around 4 to 8 weeks, with most people receiving their scores at about 6 weeks out. Perhaps it depends on when you take the exam, which center you chose, and who is scoring your notes/encounters.

I assume they print the reports on Wednesdays like they do with Step 1, so I always check the NBME site on Thursday to see if my report has been mailed out. (they say the site is updated every evening, so I figure it wouldn't show up under "exam status" on Wednesday, even if the report is actually printed that day) Here's to hoping our scores show up soon!!!

Thanks for this thread... it alleviates a little of my stress going into the Chicago testing site soon. I'm glad to hear that you passed-- congrats. Now to pick out the 3 or 4 weird people who might fail...

Hey guys. I just registered for the CS, and it didnt give me any scheduling options (aside from the what city and month do you think you could be taking your test?). Do they send you anything when they process your application a la CK when they send you yet another id and eligibility period?
i'm still pissed off at having to cough up $1000 :(

I took the blasted exam August 8th, and OASIS said the score was reported August 31st. I tried to reaply for the CS, and "unfortunatly" I could not do that, 'cose their records say that I already passed. Goody...

I tried to find, out of 24 people in my exam room, the statistical four. I was very sorry to only be able to point to two of them :). That did not do very well for my morale. Nor the fact that my very first patient belonged to the psychiatric scene. Nor was I encouraged by the fact that I forgot to wash my hands before examining the forementioned patient. I spend my next minute apologizing. Time was up. Oh well, at least the patient note would be brilliant, I said to myself. It would certainly have been, had I only finished it.

And again, and again, and again. I was invariably the last one to exit the examination room -- everybody was typing furiously on their keyboards while I was rechecking the SP's name. One would expect I would finish the note on time, given that I hardly ever checked all the relevant systems. Of course, one would be wrong. Several patients' diagnosis were shrouded in mistery. Maybe it wasn't too late to take the GRE, I was thinking.

And yet -- I passed. God only knows what purpose this exam served, because if I showed up like this at any of my medical schools clinical assessments, they would throw me out in a blink of an eye.

Best of luck to everybody, and off to CK I go!

I was nervous when I showed up to the exam but I found myself sitting in the registration room thinking that statistically, of the 24 people here, 3 or 4 should fail. So I tried to find the 3 or 4 people more likely to fail than I. I immediately found the person wearing white sneakers and short sleeve polo shirt without a tie. Then I found the person that forgot a white coat and stethoscope. During the lunch break, I found the annoying and obnoxius guy talking loudly and candidly about some of his memorable pelvic exams he performed during his ob/gyn rotation and how all pregnant women have attitudes. Every once in a while, I would hear a person walk into the exam room and call the patient by their first name. So I figured there were enough people in the room to make the likelihood of me psssing pretty good.

One of my statistical people was a guy who, after the entire video and protocol spiel, raised his hand to ask if chaperones would be provided when he did breast or pelvic exams with female patients. I immediately breathed a sigh of relief, I mean, come one people, you're spending a grand here on the test alone....at least have an idea of what you can or can't do. I still wonder about that guy though

Oana said:
I tried to find, out of 24 people in my exam room, the statistical four. I was very sorry to only be able to point to two of them :).

It is like they say in the movie Rounders, "If you can't find the suckers at the table within the first 5 minutes of sitting at the table, then you are the sucker."

checking pass or fail does work, but usually you have to wait until the Wednesday night, Thursday morning before it will work. But you passed.

It's a stupid mindless exam. I studied for it by not getting drunk the night before, I'm serious. The weakest people in my class passed while one of the stronger people failed. When I say weak I mean I wouldn't trust them with a sick hamster.

Furrball2 said:
It's a stupid mindless exam. I studied for it by not getting drunk the night before, I'm serious. The weakest people in my class passed while one of the stronger people failed. When I say weak I mean I wouldn't trust them with a sick hamster.

I have my CS in Chi-town this coming Monday. After reading your comment Furrball, I guess I will see if I can restrain myself and study similarly. What a friggin' joke this 1000$ test is!

For those of you that had an a.m. session, what time were you done in the afternoon?

TrustMe said:
For those of you that had an a.m. session, what time were you done in the afternoon?

Assuming everyone arrives on time or early, they will start early or on time. We started around 8:30, and were walking out the door at 3:30. They are very efficient.

Same. At the Houston site we were in by 8:30 and out by 3:30.

On the down side, I had problems picking out my statistical four. Aside from the one that didn't show up, the 6 that were late (5 FMGs and 1 U.S.) and the 60% FMGs, no one really struck me as wholly incompetent. There was one guy who was talking to someone from his school as we were waiting to get oriented and she told him that the grading had been made harder and he responded with a whole bunch of fearful questions...

I guess we'll just have to see what happens - hopefully the "Rounders" quote doesn't apply here.

LostTommyGuns said:
Same. At the Houston site we were in by 8:30 and out by 3:30.

On the down side, I had problems picking out my statistical four. Aside from the one that didn't show up, the 6 that were late (5 FMGs and 1 U.S.) and the 60% FMGs, no one really struck me as wholly incompetent. There was one guy who was talking to someone from his school as we were waiting to get oriented and she told him that the grading had been made harder and he responded with a whole bunch of fearful questions...

I guess we'll just have to see what happens - hopefully the "Rounders" quote doesn't apply here.

At Chicago we started orientation at around 8 am and were done at 3:15. Don't worry about finding your statistical four in Houston, there were plenty in Chicago last Thursday. Of the roughly 15 IMGs only about 7-8 could speak English with any sort of proficiency. Plus you had the person who was 30 minutes late, the person who didn't know they needed a white coat and stethoscope, and a couple of people who had done no preparation for the test.

I hope the actors are better in the other cities because they were terrible in Chicago. It was obvious that the majority of them were bored with what they were doing and just wanted a pay check.

Any idea how long it takes for the results to be released?

Definitely glad to hear it, though I would have preferred to see it with my own eyes :) Besides I don't count the FMGs because the fail rate for U.S. grads is presently about 4% and that is before they changed the passing criteria.

As far as when the scores come out:

http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2Indexes/Step2CS_Scoring2.htm

Step 2 CS 2006 Reporting Schedule

Testing Period : Reporting Period

For Examinees who test : Reporting start date - Reporting close date

Jan 1 through Feb 25 : Mar 29 - Apr 26
Feb 26 through Apr 22 : May 24 - Jun 21
Apr 23 through May 20 : Jun 21 - Jul 19
May 21 through Jul 15 : Aug 16 - Sep 13
Jul 16 through Sep 9 : Oct 11 - Nov 8
Sep 10 through Nov 4 : Dec 6 - Jan 3, 2007
Nov 5 through Dec 31 : Jan 31, 2007 - Feb 21, 2007