Step 2 CS Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmcorp33

MS4
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN members,
From your past experience with Step 2 CS what portion of the grade do you think comes from the physical exam? I went it after studying 1 1/2 weeks FA thinking I had everything down cold, but somehow **probably due to being anxious** and a fear I would run out of time, my physical exams were not as in depth as I would have like them to be i.e. beside doing lungs and heart the focused exam would only be maybe 50-60% of the exam in that area... I believe my communications, questions, counseling, and disposition to the patients were pretty good. What do you think my chances are passing if I did a 1/2 effort job at the physical??

I am so bummed out by this because I had some extra time at the end always and I could have spent more time slowly examining each system instead I went to listen to the lungs, than the heart, than the abdomen (most pts). Than it was off to the focused part of the exam but I would only palpate, check reflexes and than finish up with that part of the exam when I should have manipulated the joints, check for pulse, and maybe even check HEENT stuff... I would remember to palpate thyroid when needed though... Ugh this is so annoying waiting now until sometime in Dec/Jan to find out what happen.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess that the majority of the grade comes from your interpersonal skills and history taking ability. If you look at the checklists from First Aid CS most of the items listed are related to history taking. I could be totally wrong, but that's my impression.