Step 2 CS in a cast/splint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilkyBruh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So...managed to lacerate my palm and sever some flexor tendons. Operative repair scheduled for tomorrow. I'm currently scheduled to take CS at the beginning of August, when I'll likely still be in a splint.
Can I even take it with something on my hand? Physically and also security-wise.
It's my non-dominant hand so I'm not worried about writing notes and typing the patient note. More about the physical exam.

Anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can take it in a splint (braces, casts, etc are on the "permitted personal medical devices" handout they give you at the test) but typing seems hard to me, especially in the 10-min time limit (I am a really fast typer and have never struggled with notes in school OSCEs but would've liked more time on a couple CS notes). If you can type fine though, I can't think of any physical exam maneuvers you'd have trouble with. The physical exams in CS are pretty cursory since you're not trying to find actual pathology (unless I did it wrong and failed :( ).