USMLE Step 2 CS or CK before September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fabpub

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before, but... would you rather take CS or CK before submission opens in September?

I took CS once and failed. I am guessing that if I re-took it passed, that would look better in my application than having the CK score (by the time registration opens in September).

Am I correct? Or should I focus on having both Step 1 and Step 2 CK scores by September, instead of Step 1 and a "pass" in Step 2 CS?

Some background: I am planning to take Step 1 in April, then either Step 2 CK or CS by July/August.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats up with IMGs taking CS before Step 1 and CK. People, stop doing that. It makes absolutely no sense. I hope you know that without having all steps you won´t be ECFMG certified and your chances of matching will be very low ( esp. with 1 cs failure).
I would suggest: Take Step 1, Then 4-5 wks later CS and CK end of July

Thanks.

I took CS because I had already paid for it and I fell for the trap of "it's an easy exam... you'll pass..." I passed SEP and CIS but failed ICE.

Your advice is not different from what I had planned. I have already scheduled CS again for late June (before the spots get all filled up!). Then I will have what, 5-6 weeks to take CK in order to have my grades out but mid-September. Not easy but not exactly impossible.

Think about another possibility: Why rush everything. Take your time and skip this match. Because with one CS failure your Scores should be step 1 >240, Ck >250 to show program directors that CS was a one time mistake. 5-6 wks for CK will never be enough for 240+. Even if it is enough. You will need to apply for your ECFMG certificate which will take another 3-4 wks

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice.

I graduated in med school in 2014. If I started residency next year, that would be 4 years after graduating. I if delay this further, the delay could become prohibitive.

I have been a post-doc in the U.S. immediately after medical school at a very reputable institution. This is good and bad.

It's good because I have several first-author publications, plus several others as second-author, I carry the reputation of where I am in my CV, and both my mentors are physicians and members of the Institute of Medicine so I guess their letters of recommendation would be valuable (even though we never see a single patient, we just do research inside offices).

It is bad because I must juggle exam prep and my duties as a researcher. I can't do full-day studying.

Not an easy choice, damn it. My question is which would be less bad:
1) an average score in CK (say, 220) instead of a solid 240,
2) not doing CS, focusing on CK instead, and thus having Step 1 and 2CK scores but a fail in CS by September (I'd do CS on or after September),
3) another year of delay before applying to the match. (!!!)

Thanks again for your attention.

Are you working towards a PhD? If so 4 years delay schouldn´t be a problem at all. The best residencies go to AMGs with MD/PhD degree. The most important thing for IMGs are the scores. If you are at a very good US hospital you will know that alle the top places are full of IMGs working as "research trainess" or post docs at labs. Theses spots are easy to get since your are working for free. Thus it isn´t anyting extremely striking to see Mayo, Stanford, Harvard in your CV, although it is never a bad thing.
Why go through the pain of applying with a bad score and praying for interviews. I have seen many with 200-215 Step 1 scores waiting match after match to find a spot no matter where, while working for free as research trainees at the most reputable hospital in the US

Are you working towards a PhD? If so 4 years delay schouldn´t be a problem at all. The best residencies go to AMGs with MD/PhD degree. The most important thing for IMGs are the scores. If you are at a very good US hospital you will know that alle the top places are full of IMGs working as "research trainess" or post docs at labs. Theses spots are easy to get since your are working for free. Thus it isn´t anyting extremely striking to see Mayo, Stanford, Harvard in your CV, although it is never a bad thing.
Why go through the pain of applying with a bad score and praying for interviews. I have seen many with 200-215 Step 1 scores waiting match after match to find a spot no matter where, while working for free as research trainees at the most reputable hospital in the US
Thanks, darus0. I see what you mean that the reputation of the hospital matters very little. I am not working towards a PhD, I am just a postdoc. I am paid and actually very well for a postdoc (not that this matters, of course).

I must get a 240 in Step 1, otherwise I am over. "Welcome to the club."

Don´t stress yourself about it too much. Try to study well for step 1 and go from there. One more thing. Think about how your mentors will feel about supporting you when you have a 240 or a 215 on step 1 etc. They would be much more willing to call up a program director and recommend you when you have a better score.