USMLE Step 2 CS - Physical Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingfortheKnicks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

American MS4 here taking the test next week. I recently passed my school's cumulative OSCE which is similar to CS in format and I was left with a big question for everyone.

Is there a list of physical exam maneuvers that are expected in each organ system? I got dinged a bunch on my school's exam for not doing some more obscure maneuvers that I don't normally do in the hospital (like egophony etc). Is there a guide or at least some collective wisdom on what should be performed in each organ system exam?

Also is it expected to repeat vital signs on patients that are listed as having abnormal VS?

Thank you all for the help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

American MS4 who recently passed the exam here. First Aid Step 2 CS is the best guideline for which exam maneuvers you are expected to do based on the chief complaints. I definitely recommend you go thru this book at least once.

For the vitals, you are not expected to repeat vital signs and I don't know a single person who did. The instruction asks you to take the vitals as given since the standardized patients' vitals obviously will not match.

I hope it helps.