Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a AMG applying to IM. I'm didn't take CS because of a scheduling issues and thinking it was not important. I'm taking it it 2 weeks now, but a program asked me to update my scores to reflect CS. I know I should have taken it earlier but its too late for that. Would updating my usmle transcript show that I am at least registered and I didn't fail? Also will I be ranked lower(or not at all) because of this.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't be reflected, you are pretty late. Scheduling the test and two-three months of score reporting-> getting close. I wouldn't take the risk as a program, but then 95% pass, so it's a judgment call. When are you registered?

It won't be reflected, you are pretty late. Scheduling the test and two-three months of score reporting-> getting close. I wouldn't take the risk as a program, but then 95% pass, so it's a judgment call. When are you registered?

In 1 week.

That's good, you should know some time after April 13. Since you take it at the beginning of the reporting cycle, probably right at that date. Good luck.

I'm a AMG applying to IM. I'm didn't take CS because of a scheduling issues and thinking it was not important. I'm taking it it 2 weeks now, but a program asked me to update my scores to reflect CS. I know I should have taken it earlier but its too late for that. Would updating my usmle transcript show that I am at least registered and I didn't fail? Also will I be ranked lower(or not at all) because of this.

-I only applied to 4 programs in IM (backup) and all required step 2 CS pass for ranking.
-You should see if your top programs want Step 2 CS for ranking and the only way is to update them by e-mail that you are taking CS and when you expect the result to be back.
-If you are taking CS in eary FEb- the score reporting day is April 13- May. Not trying to scare you or anything but that is cutting it close especially if you fail - 2 weeks and having so many rotations under your belt should put you in a good position to pass - almost 100% of AMGs pass

Last edited:
When I was interviewing, I asked some of the programs about the CS scores and ranking. A couple said they don't care so long as you pass before you start intern yr, a couple said that they will rank lower without the score because they've been burned by some residents who apparently failed it and it actually was a warning sign that they were not good residents, and a handful said they require it for ranking. So overall, I think most places are moving towards wanting it, but like others have said, you should check with the programs and see what their policy is so you can also rank accordingly?