Step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellKicker

Twisted Miler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

My question is simple. When will US students start taking the Step 2 CS exam?

I believe the class of 2005 will be the first to take it but just what time of the year will they do this (for the prototypical US school, I mean)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, it's just that I thought you had to be within 12 months of graduation to be able to sign up for it. I guess people would have to sign up right away, then.

So lots of people would take it before the "regular" step 2 (CK)? That's a little bit of a surprise to me.

Amy, do you know whether American students use the same 5 testing centers as us foreigners?

Thanks for your answers, by the way.

I haven't heard that 12 months thing, but since we graduate in May 2005, we'll be less than 12 mos away anyway. Yes, we do take it before the "regular" Step 2. There are only 5 or 6 testing centers in the country, so most of us have to travel to get to one (on top of the $1000 fee for the exam). :mad: I imagine the foreign students take it at the same centers as the US students.

Bellkicker,do you have any news concerning the TOEFL exam? I saw recently that it will be integrated to the CSA exam,or whatever the new name will be. Do you have any idea how will that work? Thanks.

Theodore, as far as I know, you don't have to take the toefl anymore.

I guess spoken English will be one of the components on the Step 2 CS.

According to the USMLE website, it'll start in mid-2004, effective with the class of 2005. That's as specific as they get. Re: the TOEFL -- it'll pass out of existence when the Step 2 CS starts. Although the testing requirements will be the same for USMGs and IMGs, from what I saw on the ECFMG website, the cost to IMGs will still be $1200, while for USMGs it will be $900-something.

Thank god for living in a testing city. I feel sorry for you guys who have to pay for travel and/or lodging on top of the ridiculous $975 administration fee.

Registration for the CS portion of step 2 begins in January 2004. There will only be 2 test sites available initially; Atlanta and Philly. The other test sites will slowly come online starting in September with Chicago slated as the first.
The test is pass/fail and can be taken without regard to Step 1 or Step 2 as far as the NBME is concerned. Individual med schools may have different policies so you should verify that with your school. The only requirement from NBME is that it be taken before Step 3.