Step 2 CSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Briggsie

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of postings indicating that certain medical schools are NOT requiring students to PASS the CSE. It appears my medical school has gone this route as we received an email today from our Dean, he writes:

The new policy is as follows:

We require that all students must sit for the NMBE, Step 2 Clinical Skills Examination prior to graduation, but you do not have to post a passing score in order to graduate.

The reason for this change is notification that we received from the NMBE that approximately half of US medical students are scheduled to take the CSE before July 2005. It may be that the reporting of scores will require more than 8 weeks and, therefore, may not be available for students before graduation in May, 2005.

We continue to support the CSE as a means to demonstrate competency and accountability in the medical education and licensing process. We continue to discuss policy for graduation May, 2006.​

What a huge waste of time and money. I have a feeling that many medical schools are going to do the same with respect to the graduation requirement.

BTW, my school put the fear of God into us last year and told us that "under no circumstances will you be allowed to graduate should you not pass the exam."

Members don't see this ad.

Briggsie said:
What a huge waste of time and money. I have a feeling that many medical schools are going to do the same with respect to the graduation requirement.
I totally agree that the BS exam is a waste of time and money. However, it is still required to pass step 2 BS before you can take step 3, which is required for licensure. The waste of time and money lies with the NBME and not with the schools, per se.

I have complete and utter disdain for the Step 2 BS. The Step 2 BS is dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)
AndyMilonakis said:

I have to agree. There should be a way to waive this stupid exam. I believe that if you have a pulse, know how to wash your hands, and can say "Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore" 5 times fast you should be exempt. What else is being tested that being able to do these three things can't demonstrate?

btw...I took my bs back in december. I have to say that I was surprised that the academy didn't give me an oscar...I put on some great theater! :cool: (Maybe I can still win a toni award)

joedogma said:
I have to agree. There should be a way to waive this stupid exam. I believe that if you have a pulse, know how to wash your hands, and can say "Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore" 5 times fast you should be exempt. What else is being tested that being able to do these three things can't demonstrate?
Can you believe I forgot to wash my hands on my first patient? I had just finished talking to him and was gojng to examine him, when he says "one thing first... could you wash your hands?" Now, I think it's fair to say that I am pretty pasty white, but I think I must have looked so pale at that moment I could have scared the dead. The "patient" just grinned at me, and I apologized profusely and washed my hands. Fortunately, I passed... but not a good way to start off the exam.

Of course, the exam was totally ridiculous, but it doesn't really bother me. I mean, so many things in med school were total crap wastes of time and money. By the time I took step 2 BS, it was just another useless hurdle to get past - water off a duck's back.

My Step 2 CSE experience: they faked illness and i faked caring.

And if I fail, I might not jump off a bridge.

I remember one of my fake patients having absent breath sounds on one side. He got into a fight and got his butt kicked. Anyways, when I listened to his right lung field with my stethoscope, told this mofo to breath deeply, and heard nothing, I quickly broke role and said, "Holy sh1t. How did you do that?"

I passed. Adios Step 2 BS.

Havarti666 said:

Most reassuring.
I'm taking it tomorrow. Leaving for Houston in a couple of hours en route to the Great White North.

Final year of med school, and I've never felt so stupid in my life.

:barf:

Regarding hand washing: I made a point to wash my hands AND wear gloves. That way, if I forgot one, I'd still have the other.

I have my exam on Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luck all around.

Yes, the exam sucks and is a sham and a money making scheme.

It sucks even worse for the FMGs who didn't get their scores back in time for the match.

Havarti666 said:

All you need to know is how to fake sincerity. :laugh:

bananaface said:
I have a job. I was here!

Next time he does that I am paging you. :smuggrin:

That's a BAD ANDY! Bad, Bad, BAD Andy!
*BONK!*

Go
To
SLEEP!

AndyMilonakis said:
I remember one of my fake patients having absent breath sounds on one side. He got into a fight and got his butt kicked. Anyways, when I listened to his right lung field with my stethoscope, told this mofo to breath deeply, and heard nothing, I quickly broke role and said, "Holy sh1t. How did you do that?"

I passed. Adios Step 2 BS.

It's called faking a pneumothorax, everyone knows how to do it ;).

stormjen said:
Regarding hand washing: I made a point to wash my hands AND wear gloves. That way, if I forgot one, I'd still have the other.

But sometimes patients get offended when you wear gloves ;).

My school just requires us to take the exam in order to graduate, but they made that policy as their initial policy. There was no threatening that we had to pass in order to graduate. With this lukewarm response by the schools I wonder if it's possible that they may rethink this test in the future. I sure could use that $1000+ gone to waste.

Mrbojangles said:
With this lukewarm response by the schools I wonder if it's possible that they may rethink this test in the future. I sure could use that $1000+ gone to waste.

I have to take it next year, so I hope they rethink it really really soon!

:thumbdown: to Step 2 CS!!

I spent 24 hours in Houston, and did not find anything to like about that period of time. Not the airport, not the hotel (the Clarion is a 5-minute walk from the testing centre, but I went to bed serenaded by the tinkle of somebody peeing next door) and certainly not the exam.

I think I started developing a Southern accent around the time of the 4th patient encounter :oops:

The SPs were the fakest bunch of SPs I ever saw. I mean, what kind of SP starts giving you the scripted answer before you even finish the question?

I honestly have no idea how I did. It just seems like one of those exams that could go either way depending on what the grading criteria were.

I'm just glad there was no blood or screaming involved.

deschutes said:
I spent 24 hours in Houston, and did not find anything to like about that period of time. Not the airport, not the hotel (the Clarion is a 5-minute walk from the testing centre, but I went to bed serenaded by the tinkle of somebody peeing next door) and certainly not the exam.

I know what you mean. My trip to Atlanta last week for my CSE made me regret ranking Emory at all. That city has been forever stained. The airport is so mid-90's, and I was awoken in the middle of my night of pissed-off slumber by what sounded like a high school party on the motel balcony. Lesson: stay away from the ghetto Days Inn on Old National Hwy. The exam itself was a huge pile of horse flop, and every med student there was seething with barely controlled anger, myself included. The only thing I feel was tested was my ability to passively sit through another assinine, degrading, contrived mountain of stupidity. It was like all the worst moments of 3rd year boiled down into one day of severe, totally unecessary pain.

Hope you don't feel like Houston totally sucks, though. You never even saw any of the real city, of which I have grown rather fond. :)

Havarti666 said:
I know what you mean. My trip to Atlanta last week for my CSE made me regret ranking Emory at all. That city has been forever stained.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Havarti666 said:
The airport is so mid-90's, and I was awoken in the middle of my night of pissed-off slumber by what sounded like a high school party on the motel balcony.
The exact same thing happened to me in Chicago! There was this gaggle of teenagers on some school trip running around, and the exterior walkways and stairs were metal. It was awful - I ended up sleeping curled up on top of a bedspread on the bathroom floor. Now, let us never speak of this again.

AndyMilonakis said:
Is there anyway to officially rename it Step 2 BS.

whispers said:
Is there anyway to officially rename it Step 2 BS.
we just did. cuz everything we say on here is official and gospel. :laugh:

geddy said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The exact same thing happened to me in Chicago! There was this gaggle of teenagers on some school trip running around, and the exterior walkways and stairs were metal. It was awful - I ended up sleeping curled up on top of a bedspread on the bathroom floor. Now, let us never speak of this again.

Just got my Step CS results (passed thankx god) from Chicago, taken Jan 24th. My chicago experience wasn't too too bad...
only hilarious and odd thing was riding up the elevator to the exam floor with several other ms4's taking it, WITH a bunch of other people in the elevator too...
paranoid as i am, i desided NOT to join the ranting from the other ms4's about just how freaking ******ed the exam was etc etc etc...., until I knew exact what floor those "other" people in the elevator were getting off at. Oddly enough, nearly all of "them" got off on the same floor as I/we did, and ended up being in the actual exam!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lesson: talk a BUNCh of trash about the exam (and BE SURE that you do), except don't do it anywhere near the actual exam site.

SLUsagar said:
Lesson: talk a BUNCh of trash about the exam (and BE SURE that you do), except don't do it anywhere near the actual exam site.
No. Lesson is - talk trash about the exam while you're going DOWN the elevator with the SPs ready to go home AFTER the exam.

Oh man, you should've seen the storm geddy was creating in the elevator. He just could not stop ranting...made Andy so proud, a tear rolled down Andy's right cheek.

Congrats on passing BTW. I seriously hope they get rid of this stupid exam for subsequent years even though that means that we truly were the guinea pigs. But I'm not thinking of myself here. This exam is utterly useless and should nulllified!

Ooh, this means I should be getting my results in the next 2-3 weeks... would be great to find out I passed on the same day I found out I matched into my #1!!!! What a happy day that would be!

My school still requires a passing grade on the CSE to graduate, but I heard there are talks to get the requirement dropped. Given my school's history of taking forever to make changes, I hope this happens BEFORE I have to graduate.

SLUsagar said:
Just got my Step CS results (passed thankx god) from Chicago, taken Jan 24th. My chicago experience wasn't too too bad...
only hilarious and odd thing was riding up the elevator to the exam floor with several other ms4's taking it, WITH a bunch of other people in the elevator too...

I too was in Chicago taking the exam on the 24th. Was there an evening session? One of the women who was proctoring the exam was very inquisitive and made us all tell her what residencies we were going into and I was the only one that said pathology.

deschutes said:
I think I started developing a Southern accent around the time of the 4th patient encounter
I do the same thing. In February I got back my "I live 30 miles south of the Canadian border" accent for a couple of days.

People from BC were always amazed that I knew they were on holiday when they asked me where the buggys were kept or where they could find the acetylsalicylic acid. I miss living near Canada!

AndyMilonakis said:
Oh man, you should've seen the storm geddy was creating in the elevator. He just could not stop ranting...made Andy so proud, a tear rolled down Andy's right cheek.
Yes, sometimes it's hard for me to keep it all in. I apologize for all the F-bombs I must have dropped around you. They're lucky I didn't have my katana with me, or it would've been lights out, teenage girl who can't tell me when her last period was!

deschutes said:
I think I started developing a Southern accent around the time of the 4th patient encounter :oops:
TYou sure got a purty mouth...

geddy said:
Yes, sometimes it's hard for me to keep it all in. I apologize for all the F-bombs I must have dropped around you. They're lucky I didn't have my katana with me, or it would've been lights out, teenage girl who can't tell me when her last period was!
yeah...there were two patients who just would not volunteer hardly any information. one was that teenage girl with the weird abdominal pain. eventually with 2 minutes remaining, i ask about polyuria, polydipsia, and polyphagia. holy geezus batman! she finally answered "yes" to my questions! then i told her, "well, i think you may have live-betes. i'm using this term instead of diabetes because if you hear live-betes you're gonna think that everything is oh-kay :thumbup: " i must have scored 100% on the interpersonal skillz portion of that station.

AndyMilonakis said:
yeah...there were two patients who just would not volunteer hardly any information. one was that teenage girl with the weird abdominal pain. eventually with 2 minutes remaining, i ask about polyuria, polydipsia, and polyphagia. holy geezus batman! she finally answered "yes" to my questions! then i told her, "well, i think you may have live-betes. i'm using this term instead of diabetes because if you hear live-betes you're gonna think that everything is oh-kay :thumbup: " i must have scored 100% on the interpersonal skillz portion of that station.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is awesome, but it would've been better if you told her that she'd better come back in a month so her leg didn't end up on my grossing station... She drove me nuts - come on, throw me a frickin' bone here.

geddy said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is awesome, but it would've been better if you told her that she'd better come back in a month so her leg didn't end up on my grossing station... She drove me nuts - come on, throw me a frickin' bone here.

I also told her to refrain from eating whole watermelons because they have lots and lots of sugar. See? I am a compassionate and competent physician!

Briggsie said:
I too was in Chicago taking the exam on the 24th. Was there an evening session? One of the women who was proctoring the exam was very inquisitive and made us all tell her what residencies we were going into and I was the only one that said pathology.

nope, i was there too during the day session...
i DO remember that inquisitive little (rather, LARGE) woman asking about specialities, but i was just stepping into the can when she asked for the Pathology roll call...
so looks like there were two of us!

Y'know, it came to me that I just took a major exam, and being done with any part of the USMLE should be a cause for much celebrating.

Instead I find myself wanting desperately to go to bed but instead am digging up my room trying to find a copy of Surgical Recall - and the only reason I care is because it doesn't belong to me.

deschutes said:
Y'know, it came to me that I just took a major exam, and being done with any part of the USMLE should be a cause for much celebrating.

Instead I find myself wanting desperately to go to bed but instead am digging up my room trying to find a copy of Surgical Recall - and the only reason I care is because it doesn't belong to me.

I'm sorry. That doesn't sound pleasant. I gave my surgical recall away very fast when I was done with that rotation.

yaah said:
I'm sorry. That doesn't sound pleasant. I gave my surgical recall away very fast when I was done with that rotation.
I got all these books from medical school that I should give away, sell, or burn now. I doubt as a pathology resident, I will have use for any of these. A few books may be useful for CP stuff...I should sell those too :laugh:

i wonder what books are the good ones to buy using the allocated book fund when residency starts.

AndyMilonakis said:
I got all these books from medical school that I should give away, sell, or burn now. I doubt as a pathology resident, I will have use for any of these. A few books may be useful for CP stuff...I should sell those too :laugh:

i wonder what books are the good ones to buy using the allocated book fund when residency starts.

Some people say to buy a grossing guide. Others say to get a major surg path textbook like Rosai or Sternberg. A CP text (although not for you). Something basic.

deschutes said:

Did you ever get that map back?

He did. And no news is good news, so it apparently reached its owner.

I still cannot find Surg Recall. It is a lost cause. I guess I will have to use my $50 medical bookstore gift certificate!

Can't you just borrow someone's? That's kind of like throwing money away unless you can sell it to someone later!