Step 2 early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJBX

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How early do I need to take Step 2 CK? I've heard Sept. 1st is a good cut off. Any one else agree or disagree?

Members don't see this ad.

More info needed to answer question. Why do you think you need to take it early?

How early do I need to take Step 2 CK? I've heard Sept. 1st is a good cut off. Any one else agree or disagree?

In my opinion, it all depends on what your step 1 score is and what specialty you plan on pursuing. If you want to do rads and scored 220 on step 1, it may be worthwhile to kick ass on CK before you apply to residency.

I took it early because I (relatively) screwed the pooch on step 1. I went up about 25 pts which may have helped some but at the end of the day, Step 1 counted for much much more than CK.

The other advantage was that I was done with all the USMLE nonsense in Sept of 4th yr and didnt have to think about it ever again... (until step 3 :( )

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the residency directors we heard talk last night at a class meeting, more and more residencies want to see your step 2 score. Apparently studies are showing that success on step 1 has practically no correlation to success in residency. However, those who score well on step 2 are much more likely to shine as residents.

The directors basically told us third years to take step 2 by October at the latest, because it takes 4-6 weeks for scores to get reported in ERAS. They also said it's a good idea to do your sub-I or EM rotation before taking step 2, because this will help reinforce what will be on the exam.

The answer totally depends on who you talk to.

Here is my opinion -

If you did well on step I and you are going into a competitive field then it's probably advisable to take II just to prove that you can score well. Plus, it's unlikely that you will decrease your score significantly (I didn't say it doesn't happen but, it's unlikely). Many people are scared to take CK if they had a decent step I for fear of decreases in score. Most of the people will increase their score.

If you did poorly on step I and are going into a competitive field then definitely take it early. Study hard and do well because it will mean something towards your application.

If you are going into a less competitive field then you may want to hold off on Step II. Let it be said that even the less competitive fields have competitive residency spots. Internal medicine is considered 'easier' to get into then derm but, there are still many very competitive IM spots. So, depending on how strong your step I score (PLUS your grades and evals) you might get away with taking it later.

Here is my personal experience. I only did 11 points better on step II then step I (229 to 240). I decided to hold off on step II b/c I just didn't have the time to take it earlier in the year plus, I was just plain old tired from third year. I kind of regretted that decision when I was studying b/c many of the subjects I had not studied in over a year. But, after I took the test I realized that I actually may have done myself a favor b/c I reviewed all the important subjects a few months before residency.

Just make sure you schedule step II CS as early as possible. Most schools require that you at least sit for both step II's to graduate and some require that you have passed both. Even though it's unlikely to fail CS, it seems to happen and if you need to retake it, you might not be able to do so by the end of the school year if you take it late (plus, it feels good to get CS over with as soon as possible).

Best of luck ;)

I agree with the comments that the timing of CK depends a lot on how well you did on Step 1 and what specialty you're going for. However, you may want to hold off on taking CK TOO early. If you take it before you submit your ERAS application, your scores will be automatically reported to all of the programs you apply to. This is great if you happen to do really well on Step 2, but obviously not so great if you don't. For this reason I chose to take Step 2 in mid-Sept so that I could look at the results before deciding if/when I wanted to submit my score. It worked out really well as I got my score in the beginning of October and was able to submit it before most programs had offered any interviews. Just something else to think about.

So, if you take the Step 2 ck before you submit your ERAS application your score will be automatically submited?

According to the residency directors we heard talk last night at a class meeting, more and more residencies want to see your step 2 score. Apparently studies are showing that success on step 1 has practically no correlation to success in residency. However, those who score well on step 2 are much more likely to shine as residents.

The directors basically told us third years to take step 2 by October at the latest, because it takes 4-6 weeks for scores to get reported in ERAS. They also said it's a good idea to do your sub-I or EM rotation before taking step 2, because this will help reinforce what will be on the exam.

I went to talk to a PD of a super competitive surgery specialty at our school, and he told me that for his program first they look at the whole applicant.

Then, they look at the step I score. If it is low, but the step II is high or in the acceptable range (meaning the same acceptable range as step I), then they ignore step I and use step II. In other words, both steps carry equal weight in his residency program.

But they do look at the whole applicant to see who they are, what they have done, how they come across. It's great to see 260's but there are other things he said they look for. That was interesting news to me, and I respect his opinion.

So, if you take the Step 2 ck before you submit your ERAS application your score will be automatically submited?

if the results come back before you submit your eras application, yes.

it takes about 3-6 weeks to get your scores/ to have it placed with indelible ink on your transcript