step 2 got cancelled due to covid won't have step 2 score in time for ERAS will this matter for a DO applicant applying anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haddy0995

Reaction score
DO step 1: 247 comlex level 1:664 comlex level 2: scheduled for June.
I have heard of individuals delaying step 2 if they had a decent step 1 but will this still be okay me being a DO? the earliest I might have my step 2 score is late October/November. Will I still have enough interviews provided I will apply to as many programs as possible when ERAS opens without my step 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody knows. keep trucking along

People need to stop posting these Uber neurotic questions that nobody will have an answer to. Its an unprecedented pandemic so there isn’t an answer until things open up again (Not directin this solely at you just in general)

Reactions: 2 users
I am in the same boat, friend. 260+ step 1, 730+ comlex I, but no word on what to do about step 2ck. I have been told that it may be okay to wait if your step 1 is solid, which yours is. I emailed my school advisor about it and she recommended applying to programs who do not require step 2ck for interview and just taking step 2ck before rank lists. It seems like this might be my only option and might be the same for you. Keep your head up! You are not alone by any means!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you possibly travel to take the test? There are some openings if you are willing to travel. I was considering traveling for the test but ended up checking constantly and was surprisingly able to get a date I wanted nearby

Hi haddy0995,

I know this is a very stressful situation. COVID-19 has had a huge impact on medical education in a way that we've never seen before. However, I can assure you that the AAMC as well as all residency program directors are 100% aware of this. We still don't know exactly what kind of changes the AAMC is going to make at this point but there is a good chance that some of the deadlines are going to be pushed back. Furthermore, I'm confident that program directors will be less strict about having certain USMLE scores in by interview season. Program directors are aware of the Prometric drama. In fact, many of them have to deal with it with their current residents who have had Step 3 exam cancellations and issues scheduling the exam. That being said, my advice would be to try and schedule Step 2 early on if possible. However, if it cannot happen then I would not worry too much about it. Your Step 1 score is strong and that will help you get the interviews you need. If you need to, you can always explain any score delays during the interviews.

Best of luck!
- Annette G, MD, MPH - USMLE Tutor and Residency Advisor at Med School Tutors