step 2 in july

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jpro

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
step 1 = 228
Should I take step 2 early or toss the dice. My PD told me that I did not need to take it early, but the fourth years that matched this year strongly advised me to take it early. No other problems with my app (like a 228 is a problem). Decent number of H and HP to P ratio in the first 2yrs. Honored everything so far 3rd year except surgery (HP). Research extracurrifnbgkasjkjnflgkau....... blah blah

Members don't see this ad.

i wouldn't sweat taking it... i'd invest that 2-3 weeks it would take to prepare into getting in good with a program you're interested in. that might prove to be more worthwhile than studying for step II.

p

Did you underperform on Step 1 or was that your best? If you think you can do better, bust your ass studying and rock step 2. A classmate of mine bumped a low 220 step 1 and got a 259 step 2. He ended up getting close to 20 interview invites and matched at a solid academic program ...

Members don't see this ad :)
A 228 is fine. It'll get you interviews as long as everything else looks good in your app. I wouldn't take step 2 early, not worth the risk, IMO.

The mean score varies from 200 to 220. So a 228 might be just as good as a 248 taken during another administration.

Can anyone comment on whether the mean score is lower in June? If so, do programs take into account the standard deviation to determine how well you did?