Step 2 much lower than Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Topological

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Step 1 = upper 240s, Step 2 = lower 220s. I knew I wasn't prepared for Step 2, but had to meet my school's deadline. I'm applying in psych. My grades are not great. The rest of my application is decent.

Only 1 program has asked me for scores. Another has said that they want to see that I passed. How bad is this? Do I have to release my scores to everyone? Can I just email scores to the PDs that have mentioned it and will other programs even rank me without it?

Members don't see this ad.

Only 1 program has asked me for scores. Another has said that they want to see that I passed. How bad is this? Do I have to release my scores to everyone? Can I just email scores to the PDs that have mentioned it and will other programs even rank me without it?
1. This is not bad. Your Step 1 is probably in the top 10% of psych applicants. Your Step 2 is probably slightly above average. You're getting worried over nothing.
2. You can either release your scores to everyone or no one. You can't cherry pick which programs are sent your Step 2 scores.
3. No one wants emailed scores. Programs that ask for or require your Step 2 scores to rank you will need them sent directly, not emailed from you.

Just release your scores. You have a great Step 1 so the takeaway everyone will have is that you had a bad test day. No one is going to assume you contracted some disease where you're getting dumber.

And to be honest, not releasing Step 2 scores and/or going nuts explaining why you only got a Step 2 in the 220's after a Step 1 in the 240's would raise WAY more red flags for me than seeing a Step 2 in the 220's.

Step 1 = upper 240s, Step 2 = lower 220s. I knew I wasn't prepared for Step 2, but had to meet my school's deadline. I'm applying in psych. My grades are not great. The rest of my application is decent.

Only 1 program has asked me for scores. Another has said that they want to see that I passed. How bad is this? QUOTE]

It's pretty bad. I would rule out most bigger university programs. If you interview really well, you might have a shot to slip into a community program in the southeast or midwest somewhere. I hear even Morehouse and University of South Dakota last year matched mostly AMG AOA types with 250+ on both steps....

Seriously dude, this is psychiatry. Asking a ridiculous question like the above would lead me to question either your common sense or your social skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely release your Step 2 score. Even if it hurts you a tiny bit (which it won't), it'll help you way more. A lot of places have a checkbox for "passed Step 2"... if you officially release your score, that box will be checked. That will overwhelm any potential/imaginary downside to releasing your score.