Step 2 Planning Advice for EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aldolase92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in the process of creating my 4th year schedule and I need to decide when to take Step 2 so that I can plan my aways accordingly. Here's my options:

1. Take Step 2 in September since I did well on Step 1 (high 250s) and 3rd year so far (2 honors, 2 HP) BUT have to re-study all the material in September
OR
2. Take Step 2 in June since I finish the year on IM rotation (which makes up more than half the content on Step 2) and the material will be fresh in my head BUT risk a lower score

What would you guys recommend? I know that stuff like this varies for person to person, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

Either way you will likely do fine, it is much easier to study for than Step 1. I did it in between EM rotation #2 and #3 with only about a week of dedicated study time. The EM rotations prepared me more for the step 2 style questions than IM did. I feel as though IM is more of step 1 type material but step 2 seemed like life in the day of an EP.

Edited to give full disclaimer: I did a full complete pass through UWorld CK during my clerkships and had finished all core rotations. Also studied heavily during first two EM rotations listening to podcasts and reading step up to EM and EM secrets. I read Step 2 secrets and did about 2-3 sections daily of UWorld during my dedicated week.

Either way you will likely do fine, it is much easier to study for than Step 1. I did it in between EM rotation #2 and #3 with only about a week of dedicated study time. The EM rotations prepared me more for the step 2 style questions than IM did. I feel as though IM is more of step 1 type material but step 2 seemed like life in the day of an EP.

Edited to give full disclaimer: I did a full complete pass through UWorld CK during my clerkships and had finished all core rotations. Also studied heavily during first two EM rotations listening to podcasts and reading step up to EM and EM secrets. I read Step 2 secrets and did about 2-3 sections daily of UWorld during my dedicated week.

Thanks for the reply! You have an interesting point about EM rotations and step 2 style questions. I never thought about that before but it makes sense. And if that's the case, then I'm definitely more in favor of taking Step 2 later (and I do plan on studying EM pretty thoroughly during my EM AI/aways).

But for IM though, even if the floors/wards involve Step 1 type material, I'd still be doing the Step 2 CK uworld questions for medicine (all 1300 of them :() to prepare for the shelf, so would that help?

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished step 2 in June prior to aways. It was nice to be done and focus solely on the task ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply! You have an interesting point about EM rotations and step 2 style questions. I never thought about that before but it makes sense. And if that's the case, then I'm definitely more in favor of taking Step 2 later (and I do plan on studying EM pretty thoroughly during my EM AI/aways).

But for IM though, even if the floors/wards involve Step 1 type material, I'd still be doing the Step 2 CK uworld questions for medicine (all 1300 of them :() to prepare for the shelf, so would that help?

Yeah I agree that it would help, which is why I mentioned that you would be fine with either strategy. I also agree with EmergDoc2B that it would have been nice not to have step 2 looming over me during my aways but at the end of the day I think it motivated me to study more.

I think the bottom line is plan step around your aways and not vice versa. If you can get it done early and not miss out on an away opportunity in June (less competitive month to get an away rotation, definite SLOE by Sept 15th) then do it. Otherwise, the away rotation grades and SLOEs are infinitely more important toward your residency application.

Reactions: 1 users
I am throwing my opinion in there for people with more average Step I's that may be reading. I also did it in June and would encourage folks to get it out of the way on the early side. You're just closer to your shelf exams and you really lose a lot of the general knowledge stuff quickly. My step 1 was 235 and I was hoping to break into a different region of the country so I wanted to open extra doors with a better Step II. I am not a "study hard for a week" kind of guy (wish I was). I also don't study as much as most do during rotation months so I took a ridiculous elective which was basically a month off to study. While I didn't study as hard as I did for Step I, I did UWORLD about 6 hours each weekday and ended up with a 26o. My interviewers mentioned great step scores 5 or 6 times so I do think it helps even though I often heard people say "it doesn't really matter much once you get into the 230's/240's". I definitely agree with the person above me though...don't sacrifice an away because it's a bigger gamble to have your SLOEs coming in late. For most people there is a way to fit Step II in early without risking late SLOEs.

Last point, I did home/away/away in July-Sept and was warned that I was going to burn myself out and it would lead to a bad SLOE. Generally speaking, my EM months weren't that bad and I am glad I did it that way. I got a little more comfortable each month. I know some people will disagree with me on that though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I am throwing my opinion in there for people with more average Step I's that may be reading. I also did it in June and would encourage folks to get it out of the way on the early side. You're just closer to your shelf exams and you really lose a lot of the general knowledge stuff quickly. My step 1 was 235 and I was hoping to break into a different region of the country so I wanted to open extra doors with a better Step II. I am not a "study hard for a week" kind of guy (wish I was). I also don't study as much as most do during rotation months so I took a ridiculous elective which was basically a month off to study. While I didn't study as hard as I did for Step I, I did UWORLD about 6 hours each weekday and ended up with a 26o. My interviewers mentioned great step scores 5 or 6 times so I do think it helps even though I often heard people say "it doesn't really matter much once you get into the 230's/240's". I definitely agree with the person above me though...don't sacrifice an away because it's a bigger gamble to have your SLOEs coming in late. For most people there is a way to fit Step II in early without risking late SLOEs.

Last point, I did home/away/away in July-Sept and was warned that I was going to burn myself out and it would lead to a bad SLOE. Generally speaking, my EM months weren't that bad and I am glad I did it that way. I got a little more comfortable each month. I know some people will disagree with me on that though.

e.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IM is by far the most tested material, so just coming off of studying from the IM shelf would definitely help. I'm mixed up on the timeline, you would finish your third year in June with IM correct? Why would you be risking a lower score? Step 2 studying really isn't so bad, especially if you just reviewed the bulk of it for the IM shelf. In my opinion you could probably do all of the IM questions from UWorld to study for the shelf, and then after the shelf keep studying by finishing the other sections in UWorld and take step 2. That to me sounds like the ideal scenario. You would be killing two birds with one stone.

Hoping to piggy back on this thread since I have a dilemma as well. Low 260s on step 1, and I scheduled my step 2 with 3 weeks of dedicated studying after IM and surgery rotations. I've been getting mid 80s on shelves, but haven't done neuro/psych rotation yet.

A couple questions - is it reasonable to get 250s on step 2 with the schedule I have and what would a "sufficient" step 2 score be considering my step 1?

Any advice would be super appreciated!

Hoping to piggy back on this thread since I have a dilemma as well. Low 260s on step 1, and I scheduled my step 2 with 3 weeks of dedicated studying after IM and surgery rotations. I've been getting mid 80s on shelves, but haven't done neuro/psych rotation yet.

A couple questions -
1. is it reasonable to get 250s on step 2 with the schedule I have and
2. what would a "sufficient" step 2 score be considering my step 1?

Any advice would be super appreciated!
1. Yes. The board mantra "2 months - 2 weeks - 2 #2 pencils" is more accurate than you might think. 3 weeks of dedicated study time should be plenty.
2. Above average. If you can match you step 1, that's better. If you improve, even better. With a 260 step 1, you'll more than likely be fine.

Reactions: 1 user

I also have a similar plan for the EM rotations (home, away, away all consecutively) and am worried about the burnout too. But I feel like its the only way to do things to get my SLOEs in on time. It's reassuring to hear that it worked out for you (I supposed EM isn't as intense of a rotation as many 3rd year rotations are, so maybe that's why its doable?).

IM is by far the most tested material, so just coming off of studying from the IM shelf would definitely help. I'm mixed up on the timeline, you would finish your third year in June with IM correct? Why would you be risking a lower score? Step 2 studying really isn't so bad, especially if you just reviewed the bulk of it for the IM shelf. In my opinion you could probably do all of the IM questions from UWorld to study for the shelf, and then after the shelf keep studying by finishing the other sections in UWorld and take step 2. That to me sounds like the ideal scenario. You would be killing two birds with one stone.

Our year ends in late-May, with the IM shelf the last week of May. I've been doing UWorld all year for the respective rotations, so I'll already have finished one pass by the time I finish my last rotation. The risk of a lower score is because anyone can have one bad day/test center and score unusually low. With scores above 250, I feel like even a few extra wrong answers can change the score dramatically (as opposed to scores near the mean). But if I do take Step 2 in June, then what you mentioned would pretty much be my plan (IM UWorld for IM shelf, then do the rest of UWorld again).

Even though you have a high Step 1, most PDs I've spoken to still care about Step 2 and more than a few will hold back on giving out interviews to applicants who don't have a CK score.

Hey everyone, I'm in the process of creating my 4th year schedule and I need to decide when to take Step 2 so that I can plan my aways accordingly. Here's my options:

1. Take Step 2 in September since I did well on Step 1 (high 250s) and 3rd year so far (2 honors, 2 HP) BUT have to re-study all the material in September
OR
2. Take Step 2 in June since I finish the year on IM rotation (which makes up more than half the content on Step 2) and the material will be fresh in my head BUT risk a lower score

What would you guys recommend? I know that stuff like this varies for person to person, but if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

I was in the same position as you and ended up taking step 2 right as my 3rd year ended. I ended up scoring much higher than my step 1 and if you have studied hard and scored well on shelves i imagine you would as well.

I really felt like doing things this way also helped me perform well on aways.

Best advice I would give you is to take an NBME and see what kind of score you can pull off with no prep. I wouldnt be surprised if you hit mid 250s.