Step 2 Prep in 1 Month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryn2BNMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer the most efficient way to go about studying for Step 2 in a month? Is there an equivalent book to First Aid/Step 1 for Step 2? And what are some good questions book? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a multitude of materials...some of the more popular including....

First Aid for Step 2
Crush the Boards
Prescriptions for the Board
Boards and Wards
Kaplan Step II
NMS for the Boards
Step II Secrets

I am sure there are more...but those are some of the more popular

if you're looking for questions, i recommend NMS review for the USMLE step 2 and Qbank. Yosh listed the review books that i know of.

Yup, I agree. I'd used q bank, First aid for step II, and Rx for the boards, NMS and thought that gave me plenty to do for one month. I thought that my review books were sufficient, but I don't think that they were so great that I would reccomend them over many of the other review books out there (boards for the wards, crush step II, etc). If you are close taking it close to the beginning of fourth year, 1 month should be more then enough time for step II since most of the studying is just re-learning stuff you once knew. Q bank is overpriced, but I still thought that it was worth it since it kept you motivated in terms of getting all of the questions done in one month and it was convenient in terms of being able to see explanations without all of the page flipping.

Members don't see this ad :)
"crush the boards" for step 2 should be called "barely pass the boards" for step 2. First Aid is much better.

Just my opinion

Ok, so I'm just wondering how you guys would recommend setting up the 1 month study schedule for Step 2 prep? Any advice?
Thanks

i'm a fan of reviewing first and then doing questions, so if i only had a month to study, i'd read/review for the first two weeks and do questions the last two weeks. NMS is 900 questions, divided into 5 tests of 180 each, while QBank is 1200 questions. if you do about 200 questions a day, you can finish both NMS and QBank in 11 days.

as for books, i'd probably read prescription (or first aid if you fancy) at least once during the first two weeks, and then read crush a few days before the exam.

Thanks for the input!! Much appreciated. I'm just wondering how I should structure the review period. How many days should I spend on each of the specialties if I have 3 weeks to review them, and then 2 weeks for questions like you said.