step 2 question books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BatmanMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a search, but didn't find a lot.

I hear the key to step 2 is doing many,many,many questions. Do the questions and learn why you got them wrong as opposed to mostly reading subjects.
Does this sound right to people who already took step 2?

Also, I keep hearing about NMS question book. The book is from 98-99, which is 5 years old! Is this really the best thats out there? (besides qbank)

I found the pretest was not really good for the shelves, medicine was probably the best, surgery the worst.

What else would everyone recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I didn't realize that NMS was so old. I still found it to be very useful for step II though, even though I found q bank to be more useful because it was easier to use and it's questions were more on par with step II's questions. I suppose that you could use the pretest questions for step II too, but I think that many of their questions are too specific for step II purposes. The only other question book that I can think of is Appleton and Lange, but my only experience with their question books was using their ob/gyn book, which was a very poorly written question book. I think that you will be fine with q bank and NMS for questions. If you get through all of the questions between the two of them, I'd just go back and do q bank again since I recall some seeing some questions on my step II exam that were similar to the ones in q bank. Nice username/avatar by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing about NMS being old is that I should be able to get it pretty cheap.

Thanks for the responses.

Kalel, It took a while to get an avatar that I liked and batman is my favorite. I love Justice League!
:clap:

I wouldn't recommend NMS. The questions are WAY more difficult than the actual test. I preferred Mock Step 2 by Brochert.

yeah I just got my results back. my real test was much harder than I expected. I thought I did so poorly that immediately after the test I started to prepare to a re-take of step 2 in the case that I would assuredly fail. so you can imagine relief when I found out that I got a 211/86. I did 1200 of the kaplan questions and got 67-68%, I did two nms tests (180 question each) and got 60%, and I did 1600 question on usmle world qbank. yeah I think usmle world qbank is the best out of all of them. all of the questions are good questions as opposed to nms where some are just plain ridicously, which is why I didn't do the other 3 tests. yeah I love doing the questions and learning from then by reading pertinent sections of first aid and crush step 2. i feel that reading text is too dry and I think associating text with questions is the best way to prepare because is better enables you to remember the text. I don't think you can just do the questions. I think you have to read the explanation to learn the stuff after you do the questions. good luck and please send me a pm or post somehting if you have anymore questions.
good luck

ps when are you takking the test and how much have you done already to prepare for the test.